• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

McCarthyism

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
During the Cold War there were massive anti-left sentiments in the US and a communist witch hunt took place in many different aspects of American life. What I want to know is whether you think these anti-left feelings have remained embedded in the American psyche? Are Americans still frightened of 'Red China'?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
You're kidding, right?!

You are aware that the left is in power and currently occupies the white house? That their agenda is being implemented? That it is government picking winners and losers? That China holds the majority of our debt? That they are using monetary policy to expand their military? That they call US jackals and are laughing at our weakness?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I love how the left tries to instill this fear mongering while denying their own fear mongering.

Since FDR this country has moved more and more towards leftist policies, I fail to see how anyone fears it so much as object to it.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
You're kidding, right?!

You are aware that the left is in power and currently occupies the white house? That their agenda is being implemented? That it is government picking winners and losers? That China holds the majority of our debt? That they are using monetary policy to expand their military? That they call US jackals and are laughing at our weakness?
I believe I do understand this, yes. It is possible for common belief to overshadow the election of a gov't. Basically I guess I'm speaking about the divisive rhetoric afore mentioned in this forum. And this goes far beyond the controversy of the tea party of late. I've heard some pretty wild accusations of what liberal politics will do to America from claims of apocalypse to gov't enforced national service

I'm not bashing anyone here but did being a conservative not used to stand for honour and truth? How does this sit with lofty claims of back-door communism. Why are some Americans so scared of levelling out the gaps in society?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I believe I do understand this, yes. It is possible for common belief to overshadow the election of a gov't. Basically I guess I'm speaking about the divisive rhetoric afore mentioned in this forum. And this goes far beyond the controversy of the tea party of late. I've heard some pretty wild accusations of what liberal politics will do to America from claims of apocalypse to gov't enforced national service

I'm not bashing anyone here but did being a conservative not used to stand for honour and truth? How does this sit with lofty claims of back-door communism. Why are some Americans so scared of levelling out the gaps in society?
And the left hasn't done the same thing? Didn't we just hear people like Shiela Jackson Lee accsusing Republicans of wanting to kill poor people? Let's not pretend one side is benevolent while the other isn't, or that one side engages in fear mongering while the other does not.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
During the Cold War there were massive anti-left sentiments in the US and a communist witch hunt took place in many different aspects of American life. What I want to know is whether you think these anti-left feelings have remained embedded in the American psyche? Are Americans still frightened of 'Red China'?
From what I know of most American's is they are afraid of what they do not know. American's to me seem less accepting of other world cultures than most of the world, though America opens it's doors to them, most American's still do not fully accept them, even in higher government. Maybe this embedded from the Cold War era?

Do American's fear China? I think yes, as threatening economic and military power and also by it's political policies which differ from the US.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Divisive rhetoric has been around since before our country was founded and isn't going away any time soon. Even our President engages in it quite unlike any other I can recall. Apocalypse? I haven't heard that. Government enforced national service? That has been proposed by the leftists that surround our President.

Scared? I'm not scared of anything (except maybe prison sex :lol:). Many of us do not believe it is the proper place of government to be "leveling out gaps". But if that is what you want for your country, good for you! Let us know how that works out and when you live in the perfect society then maybe we can send those that aren't cut out for individual liberty and freedom your way. (joke)

Last edited:

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I only say all this because as we speak American hegemony is failing and Asia will be the new polarity in the globalized world. This will lead to reshaping of global capitalism as we know it. There will be no place for conservatism in this forum otherwise America will become the paranoid nation on the periphery. Only liberalism will ensure that America succeeds in the next century. America took it's eyes off the ball -they were going to be the architects of the new world order but that is no more.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
So let me see if I get this straight. There has been more and more of a movement towards liberalism in the last 80 years or so, away from conservatism, and it's your assertion that America has lost it's hegemony and only more liberalism, you know the movement that America underwent while losing said hegemony, will ensure America succeeds in the next century?

Interesting theory to say the least.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
So let me see if I get this straight. There has been more and more of a movement towards liberalism in the last 80 years or so, away from conservatism, and it's your assertion that America has lost it's hegemony and only more liberalism, you know the movement that America underwent while losing said hegemony, will ensure America succeeds in the next century?

Interesting theory to say the least.
It was in that 80 years that America developed the strongest economy in the world. I believe it was under the Bush administration that the US got caught up in the middle east and took it's eye of the Asian problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Politics & Law 14