McCain's Speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by DinoFlintstone, Nov 5, 2008.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

After Obama won the election, naturally, McCain gave his speech, and I've got to admit, as a foreigner I liked it a lot.. He actually sounded like a President.
    I think McCain would have made a good President.

I had to laugh at the BBC coverage. The U.S Ambassador was here, + many, many more. A lot of them [in the U.S] including the U.S Ambassador were getting pretty offended by some of the BBC comments, especially one reported, the Ambassador asked to have him fired. :lol:
    I can't remember what the comments were, but it was funny to see how heated it was getting, at one point I could see the Ambassador was very close to smacking the guy next to him, and if it had gone on a lot longer, he might just have done that. It was mostly the McCain supporters, they were were reaching boiling point after being told over and over [from the early stages] that it looks like Obama will win.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I liked McCain's speech and he looked very respectable as he delivered it (not looking like a sore loser). I watched it live. I would have preferred to have watched it without the sound of the live translation to FR. The speech made good points about moving on from disappointments..."Don't spend the future regretting what might have been".

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I thought it was a great speech. Probably the best one he's given since he started his campaign. Very classy.

4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

While I am glad Obama has won, I am very fond of McCain's concession speech. It was very fair and respectful. He displayed true sportsmanship and was a good and fair loser, which is really respectable.

I understand many of his supporters were disappointed, but it's not a display of fairness to boo at McCain when he praises Obama, as some did.

And I now hope his supporters will accept the result and their new President. I am confident Obama will not push for extremely far-left liberal policies, but be a uniter and go for the center, as he promised. That's just what America needs.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I only heard a little of McCain's speech, but liked what I heard (save for the crowd reactions). You have to wonder how he might have done had he stuck less to the standard Republican playbook during his campaign, and been more of the old "maverick" McCain that moderates adored and liberals respected.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  6. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

McCain's a guy that I've grown to admire and respect over the last year. His speech really challenged me to be positive and support Obama where I can without sacrificing my Conservative principals. After 2000, a lot of Dems turned very angry against George Bush, refusing to support him in anything. They transfered that anger to McCain, then Palin and then to citizens that were supporting McCain. I'm not going to be that guy.
    We have a great opportunity to rebuild the Republican party with a real conservative core. That's exciting. That's something I'm going to be a part of.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

McCain's speech is one that he had to do for the sake of the country. I have some fundamental disagreements with Obama however, on issues and policies that I will never support him on. As I said in another thread, I will respect him as our commander in chief, but I will not change my mind on key issues simply for the sake of "unity". From what I've seen, Obama's idea of unity means leaving your core beliefs behind and uniting under a new ideology.

I can already say with certainty that I will not be voting for Obama in 2012. I will have to hold my breath for four years but when it comes down to it I cannot support his primary ideals. I profoundly disagree with him on a whole host of issues and cannot see myself ever voting for him or being in favor of an Obama presidency. It's one thing to respect him as our leader. It's another thing entirely to agree with him or be happy with the decisions he will make.

8. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Name one time when a super liberal with a Democrat congress has gone moderate?

9. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Yeah, after the primaries and my choices were Obama and McCain, I was saying "Fuck yeah, I can't lose on this one!" but then he just went back to the same tactics that the Bush campaign used the last 8 years to get elected.

I honestly believe that the majority of America is pretty conservative, but they're getting tired of the negativity and the fact that Republicans have broken the main rule that they've always lived by: less taxes, less spending.

If Republicans can get back to there core beliefs and actually talk to America instead of trying to drag their opponent down, they could rally back. We'll just have to see in 2 years if they've gotten the message.

10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Bush was pretty terrible on spending. Couple that with the fact that Republicans really weren't all that excited about McCain and you have your reason that Obama won. The bright side is that the Republicans can shoot for a winning ticket in 2012. With all the dirt that came out on Obama before the election it's probably safe to say that things will continue to come out about him while he is president. While many believe he will be better for the economy, I sincerely believe that it will be harder than ever to get a good job in America during the next four years. By 2012 at least 5% of Americans will want "change" once again.