• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mayweather/Ortiz

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It was very impressive that Ortiz bounced back from two knock-downs to defeat the favored Berto. Shows heart and determination. I like those attributes in a boxer. It is what allows fighters to defeat others who are better and more skilled than them.

And Ortiz better bring a whole truckload of heart and determination because he will need it. Ortiz needs to be patient and not get frustrated and do something careless because Mayweather will make you pay ten-fold for your mistakes.
I could not agree more, I love those attributes also. Growing up my dad and I watched a lot of boxing on the Mexican TV stations, and did a little boxing myself when I was a kid. Mexican fighters pride themselves in getting up after being knocked down. I'm not going to lie, being from Mexican immigrants I was really pulling for Ortiz, and I loved it when he bounced back after being knocked down twice.

But you're right, he's going to have to bring A LOT of that against Mayweather. As a long time boxing fan I really respect Floyd, I love his style and I love how he makes you pay for your mistakes. I have to hand it to him, like he says, they've brought 41 in front of me, and 41 have come up short.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Geeze, I hope I am still alive when Mayweather and Pac square off. :lol:
Seriously.

I'm kinda disappointed in all these fights against Mayweather and Pacquiao when they know the world is really just interested in them meeting each other. But I heard promoters still do these fights for money. I won't be watching this but I'll regret not watching for sure if I find out the next day that Ortiz won.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A lot of people are mad on how Mayweather won the match on Saturday night against Ortiz. Watch the video. At 0:25 mark Cortez clearly says "let's go" and motions for them to fight. It looks like Cortez forgets to tell the timekeeper to restart the clock. He then realises and that's why he looks confused and is looking away from the action when Mayweather lands the first punch. That's not Mayweather's fault though. The ref has clearly told him that he could fight on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmaswFSLCPI

Great win by Mayweather, now just fight Pacquiao.

Willy

Registered Member
Mayweather will no doubt "retire" again now until he can hand pick another opponent he knows has no hope of beating him. If he truly wants to be recognised as an all time great and mentioned in the same breath as people like Leonard, Hearns etc he needs to fight Pacquiao and then Khan and stop stalling.

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't have a problem with the way Mayweather one. Ortiz had it coming. That was one of the most blatant headbutts I've ever seen in a boxing match.

As for Mayweather not fighting Pacquiano yet, I don't blame him. I believe Pacquiano is doing some kind of steroids or HGH. Why else would he be avoiding the blood testing? No one is "sick" from a little bit of blood getting drawn two to three days before a fight. I can give two pints of blood and be a little dizzy for about 5-10 minutes.

I blame Pacquiano because Mayweather just wants it to be a fair fight. If he loses, I want to know for sure that Pacquiano wasn't on steroids because it was just be a big blow to boxing.

Willy

Registered Member
I dont believe Pacquiaou is on Steroids, I do not think steroids would help him much in the ring, they may bulk him out a bit but apart from that they would probably have the oposite effect and make him slightly lethargic and muscle bound, although not a steroids expert. If he was on performance enhancing drugs surely he would have been found out by now. Why should he agree to tests just becasue Mayweather insists on them? Mayweather retires after every fight then comes back and fights a holder of a belt, make him go through elimination process.

Mayweather and The Pac man need to get it on, only fight people want to see and will be to late soon, I dont believe it will ever happen though.
------
Dont think Mayweather will ever agree to fight Pacquiao.
Comment after fight.

Meanwhile, the prospect of a fight between Mayweather and Filipino Manny Pacquiao seems as distant as ever. Mayweather said: "I don't need Pacquiao. Where was Pacquiao in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 when I was dominating the game?
"He never asked me (for a fight) when I was in my twenties or when I was in my teens."

Mayweather not keen on fighting Pacquiao

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it will eventually happen, there's to much money involved for it not to happen in my opinion. Boxing has been going downhill for a few years now, this match-up would get a lot of attention and maybe in the long run help it become a popular sport to watch once again. I know it's a long shot, but you never know.

Willy

Registered Member
I think it will eventually happen, there's to much money involved for it not to happen in my opinion. Boxing has been going downhill for a few years now, this match-up would get a lot of attention and maybe in the long run help it become a popular sport to watch once again. I know it's a long shot, but you never know.
I hope it happens but not sure it will, don't think Mayweather wants any part of Pacquiao. I think there are some interesting fights out there, Khan V Bradley at LW for one. I like Alvarez at Jnf mid to, he would be an interesting opponent for Mayweather.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I was pissed at how Ortiz just put his hands down and was looking at Cortez. You HAVE to protect yourself at ALL times. He apologized and even kissed Mayweather on the cheeck, MOVE ON. You headbutted him and had a point taken off. Now put up your hands and get back to fighting.

I was pissed that Cortez didn't separate them, get everything back in line with the timekeeper, and then have them come out fighting. He NEVER should have said "let's go" without making sure everyone was ready to keep going. They should have been in their corners and not allowed to mingle in the middle of the ring while he's looking away.

No matter how you look at it, Mayweather sucker punched him, which is chicken shit. He's a punk, plain and simple. Ortiz didn't have that coming because of a headbutt, there is a remedy for that, and that's the point deduction. He should be embarrassed to win that way, but being who he is we all know he isn't.

Mayweather is ducking Pac because he knows he'll get his ass kicked. The steroid story is an excuse. Man-up and fight the best competition.

Willy

Registered Member
Mayweather v Pacquiao is a really tight fight to call, purely because Mayweather is a bigger man and physically stronger, so was Del-LaHoya though. I believe Pac would be to quick for Mayweather and I also dont think Mayweather likes it when he is hit and Pac would certainly do that, very hard fight to call though. I am sure that Mayweather is not interested in fighting people who he thinks are capable of beating him though and yes is ducking him. I dont think it will happen.