• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mayweather/Ortiz

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Floyd Mayweather faces Victor Ortiz on 9/17, and while it's not the fight I wanted (against Pac) I'm still looking forward to it. Ortiz is coming off a win against Berto where he won the WBC Welterweight belt, which is on the line now.

Ortiz is a southpaw, is bigger than Mayweather, and can really punch. Mayweather's had problems with southpaw's before, but I just can't bet against him. I'm a big Mayweather fan because he always finds a way to win.

Are you going to watch this fight, and if so, how do you see it going?

Comet

Registered Member
While Ortiz is a very talented fighter, I think Mayweather may be in a different class. If I had to choose I would lay money on Floyd.

Geeze, I hope I am still alive when Mayweather and Pac square off. :lol:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I know, right? I really want that fight to happen.

I like Ortiz, a lot. He's a good young fighter and he has a great blend of speed and power. But I just can't see Mayweather losing this fight. You're right, he is in a different class that guys like Ortiz and Berto.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Unless I am mistaken, Ortiz is the one that is actually right-handed. He simply chooses to fight as a southpaw.
You're right, he is naturally right-handed but feels more comfortable fighting southpaw. My mistake.

Floyd's had some problems with southpaw's before so it will be interesting to see how he handles Ortiz.

Comet

Registered Member
You're right, he is naturally right-handed but feels more comfortable fighting southpaw. My mistake.
No mistake. You are technically right. He does indeed fight southpaw.

Floyd's had some problems with southpaw's before so it will be interesting to see how he handles Ortiz.
Absolutely. This is indeed one fight I will watch. I see Mayweather winning but by decision or a late KO/TKO. I don't see Floyd completely dominating Ortiz.

Here's a good quote from Wikipedia about Ortiz and his southpaw style.

Ortiz is a right-hander who nevertheless chooses to fight from a southpaw stance. Ortiz has stated, "I’m naturally right-handed. Everything I do is right-handed. My power is just built on my left hand, somehow. Fighting left-handed was just more comfortable for me. I was just a better boxer that way. My defense was better, I didn’t get hit as much. I just developed myself into a left-hander. I don’t even like to switch to right-handed."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Ortiz

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like you guys I'm dying to see Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. Hopefully it will happen by next summer.

I'm not to famaliar with Ortiz, I've only seen him a couple of times, so I can't really give a good judgement on his style but I would not bet against Mayweather and I wouldn't be surprised if Ortiz got a beating. Yes, like CO mentioned he's had trouble with southpaw's in the past, but he's very good at adjusting while the fight goes on. I'll try to watch this fight since it peeks my interest.

Comet

Registered Member
Here is a decent analysis of the fight that I tend to agree with.

Most boxing writers, analysts and fans think that the September 17 matchup between Floyd “Money” Mayweather (41-0, 25 KO’s) and Victor “Vicious” Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KO’s) will be an exciting fight. Most also concede, this writer included, that Ortiz has little chance to defeat Mayweather.

Ortiz turned his career around in a big way in April when he climbed off the canvas twice to defeat the heavily favored Andre Berto. As impressive as Ortiz’s victory over Berto was, it was one fight. Before that “Vicious” had not been overly impressive in a number of fights. The question that also must be asked is was Berto over hyped to begin with? Was he really as good as boxing fans thought he was?

Many fans want to see how Ortiz reacts when he fights Mayweather, who is clearly on another level. The point is repeatedly brought up that by the time “Money” steps into the ring with Ortiz he will have been inactive for sixteen months. The Mayweather camp was clearly looking for an opponent who would sell tickets in a matchup with Floyd and Ortiz filled the bill. “Vicious” will take the fight to Mayweather. He is young, fast and a strong fighter who uses his physical attributes well in the ring. Those attributes would serve Victor well against almost any other opponent. Mayweather is a master at analyzing the styles of his opponents. He did not get to be 41-0 for nothing. Obviously Floyd wants to protect his undefeated record and when he chose Ortiz he knew what he was doing.

It was not a snap decision. He will use his defensive skills to thwart any threat that “Vicious” poses. Mayweather is not the typical fighter who has been out of action for over a year. He is always in shape and never too far from the gym. By the 5th or 6th round, it will be clear that Ortiz is in way over his head against Mayweather. Any ring rust that Floyd has will be shed quickly and he will dominate Ortiz from that point on. It would be better for Mayweather if the fight goes into the later rounds to give him the ring work he needs after his long absence.

Floyd Mayweather’s decision to fight Ortiz makes one thing clear. He wants no part of Manny Pacquiao. With his penchant for figuring out the styles of other fighters he must have seen something in Pacquiao that worries him, whether he admits it or not. It may be Pacquiao’s southpaw stance. Ortiz is a southpaw, but not on Manny’s level. It may be Pacquiao’s blazing speed combined with his punching power and aggressive style. There is something Floyd sees in Manny’s makeup that makes him not want to fight him. The random drug testing does not appear to be a real issue.
Mayweather vs. Ortiz ? An analysis

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It was not a snap decision. He will use his defensive skills to thwart any threat that “Vicious” poses. Mayweather is not the typical fighter who has been out of action for over a year. He is always in shape and never too far from the gym. By the 5th or 6th round, it will be clear that Ortiz is in way over his head against Mayweather. Any ring rust that Floyd has will be shed quickly and he will dominate Ortiz from that point on. It would be better for Mayweather if the fight goes into the later rounds to give him the ring work he needs after his long absence.
I agree with the whole analysis, particularly this. Floyd employs great shoulder roll, which is kind of old school. With his right hand a little higher than normal and he rolls his shoulders with the punches from his opponent, a great defensive strategy.

It doesn't matter how long Floyd has been out of the ring. He stays in great shape and always shows up prepared.

I agree that Berto was overhyped. He's a good fighter, but not the fighter everyone kind of thought he is. Ortiz scored a big win against him, but that doesn't mean he has what it takes to fight at the level Mayweather is.

Comet

Registered Member
I agree that Berto was overhyped. He's a good fighter, but not the fighter everyone kind of thought he is. Ortiz scored a big win against him, but that doesn't mean he has what it takes to fight at the level Mayweather is.
It was very impressive that Ortiz bounced back from two knock-downs to defeat the favored Berto. Shows heart and determination. I like those attributes in a boxer. It is what allows fighters to defeat others who are better and more skilled than them.

And Ortiz better bring a whole truckload of heart and determination because he will need it. Ortiz needs to be patient and not get frustrated and do something careless because Mayweather will make you pay ten-fold for your mistakes.