• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mayor closes town to outsiders, too full.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
BELMAR, N.J. (AP) — The mayor of a central New Jersey town is barring nonresidents from entering the community via a major highway — but it's just a temporary prohibition.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mayor-says-town-full-temporarily-closed-outsiders-213027453.html

I've never heard of a town being closed to outsiders like this because it was too full. I wonder what bother's the residents the most, too many people or losing the extra money all these people bring in.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
We need our mayor in Calgary to do the same thing. It drives me nuts that the City and the Province are on one hand touting what a great place this is to come and live and encouraging immigration, but at tax time saying we have so many people coming to live here that needs for services are on the rise and higher taxes are the only way to meet demand. We need to say no to the constant influx of people coming here looking for work. There's no work to be had here, and there's no parking, roads are atrocious, traffic sucks, city planning is out to lunch, and our roads are poorly lit because we haven't increased the budget for street lighting in over a decade. Calgary is the poster child for urban sprawl and there's no real culture here, unless you include golf courses and crummy bars (Oh and the phallic nut and bolt statues downtown).

Why can't other mayors and politicians understand the principle of "carrying capacity"? But they always talk about more people equating to more tax revenue. The people coming here are mostly unemployed people looking for work, failing, then often soaking up government benefits rather than leaving to look for work elsewhere. I'm sick of it. There's nothing here, stay away! Sure, visit for Stampede, then please leave. I'd probably leave myself if I could afford to, which I can't because the cost of living here keeps going up largely because we need to support all the new people coming here. Close the doors! Let's focus on the people already here before inviting more people to come mooch off them.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Your not going to get more tax revenues out of people that can't find a job. All you get is more people on welfare or living on the streets. Its sad these people probably had high hopes when going there.

What is the purpose of those statues?

Italy is in a mess with the migrants, they have high unemployment now they have to take care of all these thousands of extra people that the rest of Europe won't take. They probably should close their doors before they collapse under the weight.

Stego

Registered Member
...it was the New Jersey Seafood Festival. He closed it because the festival was full. It's like closing off streets for a parade or community block party. He didn't close down the whole town of Belmar indefinitely.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
What is the purpose of those statues?
I think it's a tribute to the nuts on City council and all the boner decisions they make with our money.

...it was the New Jersey Seafood Festival. He closed it because the festival was full. It's like closing off streets for a parade or community block party. He didn't close down the whole town of Belmar indefinitely.
I know, but if it can be done for a festival, it can be done for a city bursting at the seams. Our frikkin' mayor is practically a celebrity, but he's owned by the development companies and his only job is to keep his buddies employed building low income housing for more and more people. One of our former mayors back in the late 80's (Klein) went on to become premier of the province, and as first order of business he axed rent controls because he owned rental property in Calgary. Since then rents have skyrocketed. Our vacancy rate here is, get this, under 1%. Our current mayor won't push for bringing back meaningful rent controls because, oh yes, he owns rental property here too.

- Cham

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's a tribute to the nuts on City council and all the boner decisions they make with our money.

I know, but if it can be done for a festival, it can be done for a city bursting at the seams. Our frikkin' mayor is practically a celebrity, but he's owned by the development companies and his only job is to keep his buddies employed building low income housing for more and more people. One of our former mayors back in the late 80's (Klein) went on to become premier of the province, and as first order of business he axed rent controls because he owned rental property in Calgary. Since then rents have skyrocketed. Our vacancy rate here is, get this, under 1%. Our current mayor won't push for bringing back meaningful rent controls because, oh yes, he owns rental property here too.

- Cham
That's kind of like putting the fox in charge of the hen house. He is going to look out for his own interests not the hens.

If there are no rent controls and the vacancy rate is under 1% how do low income people pay rent? Or do you have a homeless problem?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Providing low income housing is a lot better than having a bunch of people and children living on the streets.

Rapier

V.I.P.
Preparation L.I.H. for Feudalism.