Maybe it's just the gun owner in me...

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
But those ADT/Broadview commercials bug the shit out of me and I think provide a false sense of security. In case you haven't seen it here is one of them:

YouTube - Broadview Security : The Next Generation of Brink's Home Security : Commercial : "The Ex"

After a woman who is totally oblivious to her surroundings goes into her house, some dude that was stalking her kicks in the front door, the lady is startled and yells, the alarm goes off, the dude just stands there as the lady runs to the ringing phone, the dude takes off like a track star and the lady breathes a big sigh of relief when the Broadview guy on the phone says the police are on the way... :rolleyes:

Because that's what ALWAYS happens. I mean everyone knows you are suddenly impervious to rape, murder or a grab and dash when the alarm is going off, and even more so when you have a phone in your hands... never mind it takes 5 minutes for the police to get there.

If it were me, that fucker would get two .45 ACP's to the chest and one to the head. Problem solved... no need for a fancy alarm. That is real security.

They bug me... What say you?

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's really no point in making threads like these. Here's how this will go down:

1. Those who have never once been in a dangerous situation, and those who have never known anybody who has been in such a situation will prefer to live in fairy tale world and say that you don't have the right to kill somebody who is about to kidnap your kid or rape your wife let alone kill you and your family. Just let them do their business and then let the law catch up with them so they can do their time. :nod:

2. Those who live in reality will be shocked that anybody would have the audacity to tell them that they don't have the right to defend themselves.

3. Both sides will fight it out. The ignorant will stay in fantasy land and the logical will stay in reality. Of course nobody will think they are among the ignorant.

Last edited:

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
These commercials annoy me as well. If people have ever had someone break into their house while they are home and awake then they know this is not realistic. For me, there is no way I'd even be thinking about picking up the phone to talk to them. When I have had it happen, my first instinct is to get them off of my property and fast, then deal with the cops. I didn't even consider running to get a phone while letting someone get through my front door in my house. My first instinct is to get my angry voice on and start screaming "get away" or "who are you" or anything to potentially scare them off and while in that process getting a weapon. >.>

Besides, where I live it could literally take the cops 15 minutes or more to get here.. In that time, while the alarm is going off, the person could have came in, harmed me, and ran off. I don't turn my alarm on unless I am in bed or going to bed soon anyway.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
its like Car Alarms....

They may have been useful at one point in time...but nobody gives a damn about 'em anymore. Here where I work theres a House alarm that goes off at least twice a week at different houses. I work in a very very bad area :hah: So they could just be accidents or maybe they arent. Thing is, I dont give a Rats Ass about the Alarms and I dont think I've ever Seen any Fresno PD Cruisers make their way in a rush to check on those constantly blaring alarms.

but hey, whatever tickles your pickle. If an alarm makes you feel better then cool... but I tend to agree....Those commercials arent true to life :hah:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not to mention, all a criminal has to do is cut the phone and power lines and just about every alarm system is rendered useless.

There are a few that use a satellite or cell phone to make the emergency call but those are expensive and most people don't use them. You also have to pay for service on that phone too.

But don't worry, as the bumper stickers say "When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away."

Twitch

Registered Member
>tail

;)

In all seriousness, I've never been in a situation like this and nor has anyone I know, but I still think that those things are a very good security measure. There's another one where the guy sees the mother and daughter in the backyard and goes in the front door, and then just runs away.. lolwut?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think the whole point is that an alarm CAN be a good deterrent. I know it's not the same everywhere, but where I live there's an emergency response time of 1-3 minutes before the cops show up. A criminal would be retarded not to run.

I'm all for being allowed to defend your home, but it seems like some people are just looking for excuses to use their weapons.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, I'm all for having an alarm system AND a gun. If the alarm doesn't scare them off then you'll have another option as opposed to just sitting twiddling your thumbs. I would rather scare somebody off with an alarm than have to confront them but IF I have to confront them I would hate to be ill prepared.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree. When I live in my own place I plan on buying a gun. However, I would feel more secure having a security system as well. Chances are, if someone is breaking into your home they don't think anyone is there. If they don't run when the alarm goes off, they probably will when they see you, whether you're carrying a gun or not. The last thing a burglar wants is a murder on his/her hands. In the rare case that someone is breaking in to murder you for whatever reason, it would be nice to have the gun.