Mauer inks eight-year, $184m deal with twins

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Mauer inks eight-year, $184M deal with Twins
    Definitely didn't believe he was going get that much money. but he is arguably one of the best players in the Major Leagues. He's just entering his prime years as well, and he'll only be 34 years old at the end of his contract.

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's too much. He's probably going to regress slightly from last year, and he's an injury risk.

3. Babe_Ruth

I agree with you that he’s an injury risk, but I disagree with you when you say he’ll regress from last season. He missed the first month of last season and still put up great numbers, (if healthy and I know it’s a big if) I think he can put up even better numbers. We all know the man can hit, he’s won two straight batting titles. He’s 26 years old, players usually start hitting their prime at this age, he hits above Morneau so he’ll see some good pitches, he plays in a batters ballpark. I see him hitting over .320, 35 home runs and over 110 RBI’s. I’d say he’s probably top five player in the game and you can make an argument for top three.

Obviously no one deserves that type of money, but the Twins couldn’t lose this kid and they gave him the money that a player of his caliber deserves.

4. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Not going to lie I would of loved to have him on the Blue Jays lol.

But for the sake of baseball and the Twins, this is absolutely awesome. Congratulations Twins fans, you should be celebrating tonight. You just locked up one of the best players in baseball for eight years. Something that rarely happens anymore with smaller market teams.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Just means Pujols is going to get more then this haha...

But good for Joe Mauer. He deserves it. One of the best players in baseball and its good for Minnesota. Way to pay up!

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Well, I'm not going to argue too hard against the guy I first-picked in the draft... :lol:

7. Ramiel

Ramiel Registered Member

184 Million? That's it? Haha. Just joking. He is a good catcher. But he really shouldn't get that much money.

8. Babe_Ruth

Why should he get that type of money? He's going to be the fourth highest played player in the Major Leagues.

If the Twins didn't pay him that type of money he would of went elsewhere and that would hurt the Twins more then giving him that money. He's a hometown boy, so the fans love him more because of that. He's an American League MVP, he's won two Gold Gloves, he's already won three batting titles. Oh yeah he's only 26 years old meaning that he's just starting to hit his prime. Mauer deserves this money.