• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Maturity

Fire

Registered Member
Upon viewing the world as an ever expanding spider web or network, I've come to the conclusion that maturity is the ability to make decisions that will permit a path down branch-ways that allow for the most growth, as opposed to hitting a dead end or loop. We have, within us, compasses that will direct us to create the reality we desire, but the environmental stimulus distorts our path and we must compromise to find the pathway that will allow us to progress to an idealization.

I wonder what you consider maturity to be.

Wade8813

Registered Member
To me, maturity encompasses a wide variety of things, and it's hard to cover it all in a post.

It's a combination of good decision making, the ability to act under pressure, a willingness to admit your faults, a desire to improve yourself, and several other factors.

Hiei

The Hierophant
To me, maturity is basically how well you can learn the lessons that life is teaching you and making changes according to your lessons. Maturity is way more than merely acting your age or even acting like a grown up. Maturity needs to be balanced between mental, spiritual, and physical. Until you've found some solid ground in a faith, have learned enough to know that you'll never stop learning, and be physically strong enough to carry about your life, then you are nearing maturity.

(not to exclude crippled people)

Fire

Registered Member
Is Maturity comparable to an objective morality that is enforced on all people? Are not a multitude of characteristics in the human body necessary for the upkeep and the progression of our society?

It seems an arbitrary standard to conform to the general populace, neglecting things that, though potentially awarding, contain risk.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I've come to the conclusion that maturity is the ability to make decisions that will permit a path down branch-ways that allow for the most growth, as opposed to hitting a dead end or loop.
This definition is a little vague for me, as it depends on interpretation of the word 'growth.' It could be said to circumscribe a well-educated but entirely self-serving Machiavelli. Similarly, confining maturity to a static ability means that one could conceivably know the right things to do but never act when called upon, and yet be considered mature. Excluding platitudes, I don't have a ready concise definition of my own, I'll admit; I'm only offering my thoughts in order to give you a look at your own with a fresh pair of eyes.

Loyal-Friend

Registered Member
I would say that maturity just defines the physical growth of the body. After all you can be mature but be unwise.
Wisdom takes time and practice and the dead ends are necessary for learning. You need to welcome and be thankful for the dead ends and bad decisions, with those come wisdom.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
I'm over 50 so I will tell you that maturity is when you randomly crap your pants. heh. just kidding.

There's a poem that says: If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs and blaming it on you. And there's more to the poem that I don't remember but that sums up maturity. Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Some people think that maturity is about being wise and that's not necessarily the case. Most older people don't give a shit or they forgot the subject.

If you are looking for events to make you more mature... face the world without fear.

japedol

Registered Member
To me, maturity is just a word. A word is a tool that we use to communicate, and so it can mean many different things, depending on the context and its use. Context, inflection, regional habits...things like that give the word meaning. Plenty of concepts can be attached to the word, not all of which I think are mutually inclusive.

DubDub

To me, maturity is just a word. A word is a tool that we use to communicate, and so it can mean many different things, depending on the context and its use. Context, inflection, regional habits...things like that give the word meaning. Plenty of concepts can be attached to the word, not all of which I think are mutually inclusive.
This is exactly right. Maturity can be used to refer to different aspects of a person's growth. For example: Physical maturity, spiritual maturity, social maturity, etc.
I've heard all of these terms used commonly depending on the context of the current situation.
"My daughter is maturing [physically] so fast, I took her to buy a bra yesterday"
"I am continually maturing [spiritually] in Jesus, as a Christian"
"Tom was nice to his sister even after she broke his toy, he is so mature [socially] now"

In general it refers to full growth.

However, I find from personal experience, that "maturity" without an adjective is most commonly used to refer to a persons ability to utilize self-control in a social setting.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
To me, maturity is the ability to utilize the knowledge of your collective experiences earned and to be able to apply it to yourself at all times to not only lead a better, more productive life but to also enrich those around you. It's not about being more important than others, it's about understanding the world and being content with yourself.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Scissorhands General Discussion 5
Jeanie Bathroom Wall 1
RJ-Cool Religion & Philosophy 9
D Politics & Law 18