• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mature Discussion Reform

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This is long overdue in my opinion.

I don't know if mods are just not on as often but there's a lot of garbage in MD right now and a lot of things that get tolerated that have not in the past. I find it funny that some of us can be infracted for a joke made in subtalk yet we can get away with bitching and crying at each other in MD. The quality is definitely lower than it ever has been and it's obvious that the site traffic is slowing.

I think there needs to be some rule changes and potentially some mod changes or rotations as well. MD is one of the more active parts of the forum and it's full of spamming, flaming and junk posts. Like many others, I don't like posting here anymore because there is no regulation since it makes a lot of threads there easy pickings for personal jabs and fights.

If it's going to be a realistic part of the forum, I think it needs to be realistically managed.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I think the biggest issue is that no one posts there. Everyboody stopped posting in there because they didnt like the style of a few, and so now all that is left is the people who's style leaves something to be desired.

I think everyone needs to buck up, myself included, and just post what they think. If you cant handle your posts being ripped apart or misinterpreted, then dont reply to those kinds of replies.

That brings somethingg else to mind. Often i see people getting irked when theyre told that their rebuttal makes it seem like they didnt understand the previous post. I am always confused by this, cause misunderstandings happen. If someone misreads your post, instead of commenting on reading comprehension, we just need to reiterate ourselves. If people still are getting it, it probably just means that it makes more sense in your head than it does on paper, so you should prolly drop it. Rather than get into a fight about it.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Misunderstanding is one thing, Smel. Responding to a post and implying something personal against the poster, an ad hominem, rather than disputing the point made in the original post is something else entirely. The latter needs to stop, although given the track record of this place I doubt that will ever happen.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah there is that too, but i see everyone doing that, so its not really possible to point fingers.

Actually that makes me think of a good idea. Normally these types of threads fail because people come in singling others actions out and people get angry. Rather what we should do, is just come up with a general list of things each of us should keep in mind as we post in MD. A sort of MD Etiquette list. There's tons of things each of us do that annoy the piss out of each other.

So lets start listing things that annoy us in MD (without naming names. lets try to be constructive here) and then eventually we'l have a list we can compare our posts to. It sounds tedious, but MD isnt gonna fix magically. Eventually it'll become second nature when we post, to consider the list.

shelgarr

Registered Member
The change starts with those participating (Merc!). It shouldn't take a babysitter (adult mod) to tell an adult how to behave.
------
I think everyone needs to buck up, myself included, and just post what they think. If you cant handle your posts being ripped apart or misinterpreted, then dont reply to those kinds of replies.

That's it right there. Post only what you think about the topic and nothing about your feelings for who posted before you, or their words, or their opinion, or their family, or their looks, or ANYTHING that is personal.

Last edited:

wooly

I am the woolrus
Yep, Smel hit the nail on the head.

I think MD is fine. If someone is acting ridiculous or unreasonable, just ignore them. I'm sure everybody was taught that when they were little. In all honesty, everybody should know by now... The internet is NO place to take things that people say personally.

The only problem i see with MD is the lack of people, but that's kind of a problem on GF right now... Plus i would say of the few regular posters in MD, especially when it comes to political issues, the majority are so far on either side of the spectrum and unwavering in their views, you tend to see the same arguments crop up over and over again, and nothing ever comes to any sort of conclusion.

But again, it just comes down to traffic. The place needs more moderates there. More people to play devil's advocate. Rather than just the same few people dominating threads and having the same tired old arguments.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I try to refrain from overreacting to a post but sometimes I have to admit I am guilty and say things I probably shouldn't. I can understand how you can get started in a argument. I should of just moved on and let them rant, which sometimes I do because I don't see it as worth it. You aren't going to change someones opinion no matter how nasty you get. I don't think I call anyone names though, there's no point in that.

What we need to do is take personal responsibility, don't run to the moderators and decide we aren't going to participate, let them rant all they want, ignore them, just say to yourself what a bone head then move on, there are other posts to be read. Easier said than done probably.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Wooly & Hilander: That's why you guys are cool, you have an opinion and aren't afraid to express it. You challenge and accept the challenge. We're big boys and girls here and we don't cry to mommy when things get tough. You recognize that nobody is changing their minds here, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to discuss ideas. You aren't rude and you both set a good example of how to disagree without getting all butt hurt about what someone writes on the internet. Your participation makes it what it is.

Funny how this topic comes up over and over and over again.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Even in this thread you can get a sense of who is starting a lot of the trouble.

I have no problem sharing how I feel and you know that Danny, that's not the issue. Problems arise when shit posts and personal attacks (something four users, myself included, in this thread are guilty of) are not taken care of or addressed. No matter what threads are started, people insist on attacking one another under the guise of 'well it's just my opinion, sheesh! Open your eyes, man!' Also, telling people to just be honest and deal with the replies you get is just another way of saying, "Go ahead, we don't give a fuck, dick around!" Which, hey if that's the direction, then great. I'll have more than enough fun turning the heat up, I know I wouldn't be the only one.

If that's the answer, so be it. I'll be glad to hear what happens when the infractions start coming in, if they do. The other kids can laugh like I'm complaining to the mods here, all I'm asking is for the moderating team to do their jobs and surf MD once in awhile because it's not debatable that the quality has dipped over the past year.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
While the rules and infractions do play a part in helping to keep krder, they are more designed to make it so people can post free of hate n stuff. They arent supposed to shape the debates. That part is more our role. We each have to look at our own styles and figure out what about them might be driving others away. We should aim to be welcoming to others, not aim to try and change everyone else to welcome us.