"Matrix" rain effect tutorial [easy]

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by VulgarisPrime, Mar 30, 2006.

1. For those who are unaware, you can use these steps to make banners with a background like that "code-rain" effect from the opening of The Matrix.

Step One: Make a new document. I use 400x100.

Step Two: Unlock the first layer by double-clicking it, then click OK in the dialog box that pops up. Fill this layer with black.

[​IMG]

Step Three: In the Menu Bar, go to FILTER > TEXTURE > GRAIN... Choose the following settings: Intensity 90, Contrast 45, Grain Type: Vertical. You can fiddle with the intensity and contrast, but the grain type MUST BE VERTICAL.

[​IMG]

Step Four: Create a new layer. Change its mode to "Overlay". Fill that layer with the color you want. In my example, I've used bright green.

[​IMG]

Whoa.

From here you can do what you want with it.

2. lilbballfrk

lilbballfrk Guest

wow.. i did it!! YAY!! haha thanks. it was pretty easy. lol too bad it doesnt move v.v but thats alrdy awesome! ^-^

3. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

That is really cool. I liek how you typed "whoa" hahahhahah.

4. I suppose with some VERY painstaking modification you could get it to move.

But that's for the obsessive Photoshop hounds with advanced degrees in graphic design. Or a lot of free time.

5. Blur

Blur iPimp

actually that would be easy. make that matrix on a really tall image, then clip out just a sig sized frame from the very bottom, about the size of vulgaris's tutorial image. then in your animator just move the really tall image down bit by bit and there u go, animated.

6. moose

moose O N03Z!!! 4 /V0Z!!!

thats ripped... i made this tut a year back when i 1st started...
    EDIT: i can make it move and i have proof i made it. imma go get a sig i made
    EDIT EDIT: heres the link http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=251715
    EDIT EDIT EDIT: yeah its fugly cuz i was just starrin out

7. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

That's pretty cool I can't stop looking at the green lol.

8. Blur

Blur iPimp

its pretty easy to duplicate...u sure that is ripped

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's pretty cool my friend. I cant do it myself because I dont have the program but if I did I would try it out.

10. moose

moose O N03Z!!! 4 /V0Z!!!

yeah i made a tut on it back when i went to yugioh forums. but they shut down then started again and everything was lost