"Matrix" rain effect tutorial [easy]

V

VulgarisPrime

For those who are unaware, you can use these steps to make banners with a background like that "code-rain" effect from the opening of The Matrix.

Step One: Make a new document. I use 400x100.

Step Two: Unlock the first layer by double-clicking it, then click OK in the dialog box that pops up. Fill this layer with black.

Step Three: In the Menu Bar, go to FILTER > TEXTURE > GRAIN... Choose the following settings: Intensity 90, Contrast 45, Grain Type: Vertical. You can fiddle with the intensity and contrast, but the grain type MUST BE VERTICAL.

Step Four: Create a new layer. Change its mode to "Overlay". Fill that layer with the color you want. In my example, I've used bright green.

Whoa.

From here you can do what you want with it.

L

lilbballfrk

wow.. i did it!! YAY!! haha thanks. it was pretty easy. lol too bad it doesnt move v.v but thats alrdy awesome! ^-^

V

VulgarisPrime

I suppose with some VERY painstaking modification you could get it to move.

But that's for the obsessive Photoshop hounds with advanced degrees in graphic design. Or a lot of free time.

actually that would be easy. make that matrix on a really tall image, then clip out just a sig sized frame from the very bottom, about the size of vulgaris's tutorial image. then in your animator just move the really tall image down bit by bit and there u go, animated.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's pretty cool my friend. I cant do it myself because I dont have the program but if I did I would try it out.