• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Massive North American Starfish Deaths

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Scientists are struggling to find the cause of a disease that is killing off numerous species of starfish on both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts of North America, dispatching the five-armed creatures in a particularly gruesome way.

Scientists puzzled by massive North American starfish deaths
It seems like every time you turn around your hearing about some ocean animal that is having problems. This is a virus that showed up just last year and is affecting 18 different species of starfish. So far they have no idea where this disease came from.

I don't know if this disease has been found in other parts of the world but they could go extinct in North American waters this disease is taking such a toll on them.

I wonder if this virus has something to do with pollution.

Thoughts?

Taliesin

Registered Member
It might have something to do with pollution. It might not. I guess we won't know until the scientists have looked into it some more. I do think it's alarming though. It's just like the Great Barrier Reef is slowly dying off, along with a lot of species that inhabit it. I hope we'll be able to reverse stuff like this because once they're gone, they're gone for good.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This virus gives them a horrible death. They called it a wasting disease that starts out with white spots on them then causes their bodies to sag then rupture spilling out their insides. Poor things.

Hope they can come up with a answer.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Glad they were finally caught but who knows whats being dumped where until someone is caught. Even if its not done on purpose look at all the spills that have taken place lately like in West Virginia or the oil spills in the oceans not to mention all the trash. None of that can be good for the environment and could very well have caused this virus in starfish.

West Virginia chemical spill shines spotlight on loose regulation - CNN.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch