Masoli may join WAC, eligible for 2010 season

BigBob

Registered Member
Steve Andress of KEZI News reported Sunday that former Oregon Ducks quarterback Jeremiah Masoli has completed his coursework at Oregon and is now eligible to enroll in a graduate program at another school. This means, according to the report, that the QB would be eligible to play in 2010, although he still does have a redshirt available as well, if a team wanted to bring him on with the idea that he would sit out a year.

OK then. That settles that. WAC schools Hawaii, Louisiana Tech and Utah State have also been cited in the past as possibilities, although the Rainbow Warriors are reportedly uninterested in bringing Masoli and his baggage on board. Given that we're barely over a month away from the start of the season, it would seem unlikely that a team would be looking to bring in Masoli to play in 2010, unless, of course, they ran a similar offense to Oregon's. A team that will have a void at QB in 2011 might be more open to the idea of welcoming Masoli, provided he'd be willing to sit out a season.

On Monday's College Football Live, ESPN analyst Brock Huard said that while Masoli will likely end up playing somewhere this (or next) fall, going to an FCS school is probably his best option at this point.
Rumors did have him going to Ole Miss, but Nutt quickly shot that down in a text.

So where is he headed? The KEZI report suggested Ole Miss as a possible destination, citing Masoli's reported interest. However, Rebels coach Houston Nutt replied to a text message from the Clarion Ledger's David Brandt asking if the team was pursuing Masoli by writing, "No."
I would love to see him stay in D-1A and see what he can do, even if it was in a smaller conference. I believe he would destroy other teams if he did end up going to the WAC.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'd also like to see him stay in 1A. He's an extremely gifted athlete, but I think he probably benefited a lot from Oregon's system and talent around him. He's not an accurate passer and isn't the best decision maker.

BigBob

Registered Member
I feel like if he gets in a system along the lines of the one at Oregon, he'll still do great. It was basically an primary option-first system, but when he did have to make the throw, he'd make it. Look at Dennis Dixon, he was a great quarterback, more accurate then Masoli IMO. I think if he gets a shot at the NFL level, he'll do fine. He might get the change these first 4-6 games so we'll see.

What if he would jump to another Pac-10 school just so he would have the chance to play Oregon?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Like you said, Dennis Dixon was a much better passer than Masoli. He was also four inches taller and quite a bit faster and more agile. Masoli is built more like a running back. He's basically a permanent wildcat formation quarterback who can throw the ball marginally. I don't see him fitting into any other Pac-10 offenses as most of them are either pass first or pro-style offenses.

BigBob

Registered Member
He's expected to start if he actually makes the team, which I don't see why he wouldn't.

At the end, Feldman concludes one thing: "If Masoli actually can suit up for the Rebels, expect him to start. I don't think [Houston] Nutt or Ole Miss opened themselves to this for him to be a change-of-pace guy."