Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
So I just finished reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, I actually enjoyed that book for once. It's quite a bit different than I had expected it would be.

I think that Frankenstein is a very well recognized name but most people don't actually know the story, I have a completely different perspective on the entire story, it really makes you think.

anybody else read this book?

I thought it was pretty decent, especially compared to a lot of stuff I've read.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Thats one I have never really gotten the nerve up to sink my teeth into. Which is stupid considering I've read some of Victor Hugo's amazing works like Les Miserables, which is just as big and frightening as Frankenstein.

But yeah, well one good referral leads to a new customer, maybe I'll check it out of the library at school that way I dont gotta buy it.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yeah, I don't think people realize how far off the movie Frankenstein is from the book. I have it lying around after reading it for class and it's a tough read, but it shows just how good Shelley was at capturing what truly terrified people during her time (playing "god" and "fringe" science)

browneyes106

Registered Member
I have only read it once. I was in the 8th grade when I read it. My English teacher gave us the option of reading a book and writing a report for the last weeks of school. I really liked Shelley's writing.

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
I just finished reading this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. One of the things that impressed me the most was how well Shelley described Frankenstein's utter despair and guilt over what had happened. You could really feel the pain and suffering the character was struggling with.

JAdams

Registered Member
I actually didnt' like Victor Frankenstien. Not only did I think he was insane meddling with dead bodies...but it raises one disturbing question. If he's gonna act like that with his OWN creation (and let's be honest, he was trying to revive a corpse. He should've known it wasn't gonna look pretty, yet he apparently expected it to look like friggin Orlando Bloom)...

How would he act if he had a deformed child? Would he have tossed it aside into the streets for it to die? Is he the type of person that yearns only for people without the slightest "imperfection" ranging from pimples to perhaps a missing finger? How does he treat those who don't look "beautiful" in his eyes? Just something to think about.

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I read it. I used to post entire chapters on forums at a time for the lulz too.

:lol:

why would you do that?

The book is pretty good, but I probably wouldn't go so far as to post chapters online. :lol:

I guess whatever floats your boat Mal.;)

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I actually didnt' like Victor Frankenstien. Not only did I think he was insane meddling with dead bodies...but it raises one disturbing question. If he's gonna act like that with his OWN creation (and let's be honest, he was trying to revive a corpse. He should've known it wasn't gonna look pretty, yet he apparently expected it to look like friggin Orlando Bloom)...

How would he act if he had a deformed child? Would he have tossed it aside into the streets for it to die? Is he the type of person that yearns only for people without the slightest "imperfection" ranging from pimples to perhaps a missing finger? How does he treat those who don't look "beautiful" in his eyes? Just something to think about.
That's not his problem in the slightest.

Victor Frankenstein's problem is his God Complex. He makes several statements throughout the book about penetrating mother nature and harnessing god's power for himself. He's on a power trip. Frankenstein is not a book about image, it's a horror story because it reveals what scared people at the turn of the 20th century . . . science!