Martin Gets Offer From Kings

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Sacramento Bee -
    The Kings might be close to signing Kevin Martin to a long-term extension.

According to two league sources, the Kings have made the fourth-year shooting guard an offer of five years for approximately $55 million.

Martin, who is entering the final season of his contract, is expected to be handsomely rewarded for his breakout 2006-07 season as an agreement could be reached this week.

Martin was a rare highlight as the Kings finished 33-49 last season. He led the team in scoring (20.2 points per game) and shot 47.3 percent from the field.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47769/20070825/martin_gets_offer_from_kings/

2. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

They'd be smart to sign him, very good on the offensive end I would like to se him gain a little bit more wieght though. He could easily increase his scoring average this year with the right coach.

3. Babe_Ruth

He's going to be a superstar in this league, he had a break out season last year, and I believe he's going to improve, he's a natural scorer he's explosive, and if he accepts the offer then he'll be the face of the Kings for a long time, and if the other young players on that team can develop as well, then this team can be a special team in years to come.

4. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a superstar, unless you're lowering your standards.
    He'll be a very solid, maybe an all-star game or two type player. Someone you want on your team for sure. But if he's the main man, I doubt he can carry the team far.

5. Babe_Ruth

Sacramento Bee -
    According to two league sources, fourth-year shooting guard Kevin Martin late Monday night agreed to a five-year contract extension with the Kings worth about $55 million.

Martin, whose breakout 2006-07 season will vault him into the upper pay ranks of NBA shooting guards, unexpectedly flew in from his training hub at the IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., and arrived in Sacramento on Monday in anticipation of signing his new contract. A news conference is expected this week to announce the deal.

The Kings had until Oct. 31 to finalize an extension or allow him to become a free agent next offseason, but discussions between Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie and Martin's agent, Jason Levien, began in early August.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47807/20070828/kings_martin_agrees_to_deal/

6. Xepa

Xepa Guest

Damn straight. The kings need to label him "franchise" and build a defensive squad around him. Rarely will you find a hard working, fundamentally sound mid-range shooter.

With ice veins.

7. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

The Kings had to sign this guy, but I never thought they'd offer him that much money. Eleven million a year for five years is a lot of money for this guy. But they had to do what they to do to keep this guy in Sac-Town and if that was offer him that big contract then they were willing to do so. Hopegully he can improve on is breakout season and maybe bring this franchise back to the playoffs.