Martial Arts Belt Ranking

Discussion in 'Sports' started by AnitaKnapp, Jul 2, 2009.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Do you think that they give away belts these days? Especially to younger children?

I ask this because last night I grappled with a 13 or 14 year old boy. He was a black belt, I am currently a beginner and a yellow belt. I tapped him out 3 times within a minute each time, and after the 3rd time I "hurt" him and he didn't want to grapple anymore.

Yes, he was young...and yes, I've been told I have a natural ability at it...but, shouldn't his skill still surpass mine by far?

I feel like they're catering to the "everyone gets a prize" type thing, and that this boy never should have gotten near a black belt, but did anyway so that his feelings wouldn't be hurt. Is this normal everywhere, or just at my particular gym?

2. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

There are a lot of McDojos floating around these days. I haven't gotten back into martial arts for almost a year just because school and work got in the way but I damned well could surpass a few black belts at different studios.

I always shop around a little bit, see what school or dojo I think is giving the best training and discipline in their program and decide for myself where I want to study. The problem is that the system of rank that is implemented in these dojos is not always based on skill but merely time. It's a faulty system which promotes more inexperienced martial artists to higher ranks than deserving.

I'd try to avoid those McDojo establishments as much as possible. The toughest training doesn't really do shit if you're learning a partial art.

3. AnitaKnapp

Well, I don't believe it's a "McDojo" as you call it. It's privately owned. Most people there seem to be really skilled, and I am learning a lot. It just seems that they just give away belts to younger students, IMO.

If a yellow belt can tap out a black belt 3 times in a row, and that same black belt can't tap the yellow once...I find a problem with that.

4. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Being privately owned doesn't negate the fact that it could be a McDojo. How long has the master studied the art he/she teaches? Have they studied in the native country of the martial art and for how long?

The fact that they give away belts like that indicates to me that they're standards of skill and technique are fairly low. I'd consider looking into the matter a little more, for your benefit of your martial arts training.

What do you study?

5. AnitaKnapp

There is more than one instructor. Each instructor has a specific martial art that they are experts in.

I study mixed martial arts...hence the different instructors and techniques.

6. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

It sounds a little flimsy. What kind of styles do each of the instructors teach do you know?

Sometimes mixing martial arts is for better or worse. Combining techniques only works if there is a good cross over between the intention and practicality of the technique. It's a tricky aspect to studying martial arts. Sometimes it's better to learn certain styles on their own but I'm speaking too soon as well as playing Devil's Little Helper.

I'm merely proposing an alternative argument in case you might still have any doubts, also I'm just a curious cat.

7. AnitaKnapp

Why does that sound flimsy?

When it comes to things like that, I would rather learn a multitude of things than to be stuck with just one style.

I am a beginner, so I'm not well versed yet, so I may not be able to give you all the information and credentials that you seek.

The techniques taught are Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and XMA.

The owner of the gym is well versed in Jiu Jitsu, whereas there are other instructors specialized in the other areas.

Last night was Jiu Jitsu. This coming Monday will be an XMA instructor. I've been in his class once, and he pushes very, very hard. I couldn't walk for a week after his class.

I researched other martial arts in the area, and this seemed to be the best suited for what I was looking for. Originally, I wanted to learn Krav Maga. However, the only instructor I could find in the area would not return my calls, so I'm guessing that it was old information and he no longer teaches in this area.
    Barring that, I wanted MMA. When I was researching, I found a lot of places that catered to children rather than adults, and I didn't want to be there either. While the current studio I am at has children in it, most of them are in their own class. There are a few teens in the adult class that I am in, but it is mostly dominated by adults.

8. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I believe that this happens in Taekwondo too. There is a blue belt in one of the classes I used to attend and he seems as though he wasnt interested at all in the martial art and he didn't know anything either - his technical skillls were less than mine and at that time I was a Green belt, I feel he just got given it just for the heck of it tbh. He was about 13 years of age. I havent seen him around for a while though.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    AnitaKnapp likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Dude, she does MMA, not one particular style, FYI. :D

Italiano is right though about the whole "McDojo" thing but it doesn't seem like it applies to your situation. They may give the belts away easier because they want the kids to feel encouraged and confident. Besides, aren't you like five years older than the kid you fought? Perhaps he got a black belt within his own age group.

10. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Like I said, sometimes learning a multitude of styles at once can conflict with mastering one style. I just believe that focusing on one or two different styles at a time is enough of an agenda to keep oneself well-prepared as well as provide a worthy challenge of ability.

Very well, again I was more curious than inquisitional.

Krav Maga is an excellent practical self-defense. I studied it for a couple years under a few well-experienced martial artists and ex-military. It toughens you up pretty damned hard. If you get a chance to take a class I, recommend it.

I was never a huge fan of Tae Kwon Do but I studied Ueichi-Ryu and Kempo Karate for a couple of years. Brazilian Ju-Jitsu is a great ground fighting style. I only took a few lessons and I wasn't as interested in that type wrestling style. I'm more of a striking and CQ combat learner.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009