Marriage Proposals

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by ysabel, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

What do you think of public ways of proposing marriage? I'm thinking about those "Will you marry me?" surprises during big live sports games on the telly, for example.

Something like this:

YouTube - Proposal Fail

One time there was someone who paid for an entire page in the newspaper to propose to his gf; another rented a billboard ad space (and if you knew how much these cost...wow) to send the message. When I attended a Julia Fordham concert, a guy proposed to his gf just before the reprise. Good thing the girl said yes :lol:.

Guys: If you had the means, would you do it? Wouldn't you be afraid of getting turned down publicly?

Girls: Would you appreciate the gesture? If you aren't ready, would you dare turn down a guy when you have thousands of people watching you or would you put on a show, accept and break the engagement privately?

This thread is dedicated to *coughsyndic&blisscough*. :mischievous:

Altanzitarron likes this.

2. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

I would rather have something more private and intimate. Doing something big like that almost says to me "I care more about what all these other people think and how awesome I am for proposing this way then about you."

Boredie likes this.
  3. agphoenix

agphoenix Everything goes.

I wouldn't be too worried about being turned down because that's a lot of pressure on the woman and she may want to say no! I think she'd say yes and then beat me with a metal pipe afterwards and tell me that she wanted to say 'no'!

Just like kiwi says, I'd much rather have a more private place. My 1st time around [!] I got married 'sunrise 2000' on a mountain top with just a few friends and family. And that's where I'd proposed. It's just more comfortable.

Video's hilarious and sad!

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

My rule of thumb is this:

"If you aim for great success, be prepared for great failure".

5. LadyPinky

LadyPinky scientia potestas est

^^ I agree. It should be about just the two of you not how big a deal you can make out of asking the person.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

The guy in the video probably thought the same thing.

agphoenix likes this.
  7. agphoenix

agphoenix Everything goes.

:lol:
    You're right. He probably did! I wouldn't want to put any type of pressure like that anyway. That's mean.
    Intimacy allows for a much louder slap and a 'no' I suppose!

8. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

The idea is romantic in a way, but I've no idea how I'd respond whether I'd want to or not.
    kiwi has the general idea that it'd be much better having it done privately.

9. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I want to be engaged! I don't care how he asks me, just ask me!!

In all honesty though, I would hate a public proposal. I find them very cheesy - so much so that they should be made illegal.

:cute:

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Uh oh. Syndic, cancel the gf proposal project!

I just thought of other questions, so if anyone is reading this and not just the OP, feel free to answer.

* Does a marriage proposal always have to be done with an engagement ring? Would you dare propose without a ring?

* Would you be disappointed if you get the ring later (or not at all)?