'Marriage Penalty' in new Health Bill

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Wade8813, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Married Couples Pay More Than Unmarried Under Health Bill - WSJ.com

That's messed up. Why penalize people for getting married?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

maybe its so that they make marriage less desireable for Gay Couples? Kill two birds with one stone right? Get more money and add more reason to fight Gay Marriage.

:hah:

But in all seriousness, I just dont get how half this stuff gets through Congress

3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

that's a strange, serious and unfair problem.. i can't read the whole article but maybe that's because [legally/formally] there's more money coming home if married ...so the more they earn the more they pay. :shifteyes:
    [though it may not always be true because one of the partners might not be working] but who knows.

4. Hatton

Hatton Registered Member

This isn't the first marriage penalty - there's one in the standard tax codes as well. The penalties have been given lip service in the past.

The tax code elements were "relieved" with the dreaded "Bush Tax Cuts" - tax cuts that have expired at the hands of the current administration.

The fact that there are more penalties in this bill don't really surprise me.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I don't undersstand this at all. The tax code is a little different in that the government is attempting to bring tax relief to married couples, although I don't necessarily agree with it.

This makes no sense to me at all. Not that much that has come out in the last year or so has.