Marmite, anyone?

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Jeanie, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

My friend Lizzie brought me some from England and now I'm hooked. Problem is, it's like $5.99 for a small jar of it here; the same jar she said would be about 80 pence there.

mmmmmarmite

2. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

My mate, Marmite! I'm with you ducky. It's a lovely filler. I've had it on toast and in my sarnies for years. Very unique taste. Over here, they say you either love it or hate it -- never inbetween. I'm glad you're in the former. :D

3. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Everyone in my family eats it-even the ferret! The new adverts with Paddington Bear are funny, but some of the combinations sound gross. I've never had marmite with anything but butter.

4. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah, you either love it or hate it....

.....and I fucking hate it.

5. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I think it's disgusting. What was Mr. Marmite thinking when he created such a nasty thing?

6. ChromaticMike

ChromaticMike Registered Member

I hate marmite. Once, my mum made loads of marmite sandwiches, and I didn't notice. I bit into one, and instantly tasted the marmite, spat it out right away. Made me feel sick, it did!

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Someone want to explain what marmite is? I've never heard of it.

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Marmite (pronounced [/ˈmɑːmaɪt/]) is the name given to two similar food spreads, a British version produced in the United Kingdom and South Africa and the other in New Zealand. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing, and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
    The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury with umami qualities, comparable to soy sauce. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." It is similar to the Australian Vegemite and Swiss Cenovis. Bovril is a similar-looking spread made from beef extract; it tastes completely different to Marmite.
    The distinctive product was originally British, but a version with a noticeably different taste has been manufactured in New Zealand since 1919, and this is the dominant version in New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific Islands.
    The image on the front of the British jar shows a "marmite", a French term for a large, covered earthenware or metal cooking pot.[1] The British Marmite was originally supplied in earthenware pots, but since the 1920s has been sold in glass jars that approximate the shape of such pots.[2] A thinner version in squeezable plastic jars was introduced in March 2006.

9. v1patches1789

v1patches1789 New Member

i dont really like Marmite- but I eat Bovril

which looks the same, but is infact beef extract :)
    good source of protein!

10. Mason

Mason phawq

Eww, Marmite? Try Vegemite, tastes better.