Markets and liberty?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by GoldenGary, Jul 11, 2007.

?

How are the market and freedom related?

1. Capitalism IS freedom.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Markets have a positive relation to freedom.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Capitalism has no effect on freedom.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Capitalism diminishes freedom.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Capitalism is the antithesis of freedom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GoldenGary

GoldenGary Guest

Within society there is a question on the nature of the market, it is a question that is still not answered to the contentment of all, but that deserves investigation. The question is whether or not markets are enablers of freedom or opponents. Is the market a world of free exchange, enterprise and individuals, or of corporate dominance, wage slavery and exploitation. Please, post your opinions as necessary and quarrel incessantly.

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I'm not entirely certain that a man is only his possessions. Some may disagree with me, and Diogenes--who owned nothing for a good while--was called a dog in his own time, but the whole notion still doesn't quite sit well with me. If we can think that a man is defined by what he has, then we can overlook that a man (or dog) who owns nothing, in a world where all land is owned by individuals, may be freely shot wherever he chooses to walk. Should we overlook that? It may just be a curiosity that freedom entails not being able to legally be anywhere for some. I don't really think so though. I think the freedom of men should take priority over the freedom of markets. Not that a little of the later (in moderation) doesn't sometimes help provide the former.

"But when we pass outside the sphere of material possessions, we find that the arguments in favor of public control almost entirely disappear." -Bertrand Russell

3. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

Capitalism is freedom in an economic sense, but has no relation to other forms of freedom (i.e. political).

4. Mecha

Mecha Guest

Economic "freedom" can be antithetical to freedom in general (both economic and social), depending on the scenario. A well regulated market provides the maximum in well-being and freedom (social and economic, with my usage of "Economic freedom" being "freedom from want" combined with the libertarian definition thereof) in general scenarios.

~Mecha

5. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

buisness owners would rather be in a country or area where they are free to trade and sell products without the government breathing down their neck. Companies that are regulated are not free.

6. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

It depends on the regulation. Those which ensure transparency simply prevent companies from defrauding investors and customers. This increases confidence, and thus is beneficial to all parties.

7. Mecha

Mecha Guest

pro2A: To put my counter-point in as few succinct words as possible: how much of a people's wellbeing is non-interference in business affairs worth? How many lives per annum?

~Mecha

8. I agree. The government, for the most part, should stay out of private business. The less gov't intervention, the better!

9. Corona

Corona Registered Member

I agree with this almost completely. I don't trust large corporations much more than the government, and I think there should be a certain small level of government intervention- workers rights, workers comp, and a minimum wage, as well as a few other small things.