Nintendo Mario Games

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Anyone play any Mario games recently?

I don’t know what it is, Nintendo seems to be able to create Mario games consistently with that special charm that brings most of us back wanting more.

As someone that owns basically the whole series (everything from Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Odyssey), I am very impressed with Mario games and can see why Nintendo has been able to consistently sell the character.

I recently went through Super Mario 64 (N64) and am now working my way through Super Mario Sunshine for GameCube. The games are so vastly different in art style, story, control scheme, level design, etc. and yet I really enjoy both games. It’s something I can go back to as an adult and realize that there is a very serious technical aspect to the game that I totally missed as a kid, I so appreciate it now.

Nintendo seem to be able to consistently recreate Mario to keep the series fresh and new. They really haven’t screwed it up yet even after 30+ years. It’s the same character and each installment is significantly new and fresh.

What do you think of Super Mario? Any favorites in the series?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only Mario games I ever completed were original for NES and Super Mario 64. Somehow I could never get into any of the new ones after 64. I was hoping for more of the same and instead they changed it (which is understandable).

For me, I would love a reboot of Suoer Mario 64 with updates gameplay and graphics. Until then, the DS version will do.

I haven't played many of them recently and have no real urge to do so. I loved the original, 3 & World but after that, I think I kinda outgrew them. I played Thousand Year Door a bit but the newest ones really don't do anything for me.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
The only Mario games I ever completed were original for NES and Super Mario 64. Somehow I could never get into any of the new ones after 64. I was hoping for more of the same and instead they changed it (which is understandable).

For me, I would love a reboot of Suoer Mario 64 with updates gameplay and graphics. Until then, the DS version will do.
They added content to the DS version. 30 extra stars, 3 new playable characters, and several extra levels. It was honestly a big and very welcome improvement.

I haven't played many of them recently and have no real urge to do so. I loved the original, 3 & World but after that, I think I kinda outgrew them. I played Thousand Year Door a bit but the newest ones really don't do anything for me.
So you really liked the 2D ones. Must be a generational thing. I really like the 3D stuff, especially the earlier ones.

I’m currently rediscovering sunshine. The game is absurdly hard, no way was that actually meant for children.

So you really liked the 2D ones. Must be a generational thing.
I definitely prefer the 2D games. No question about it.

But the main reason I don't go out of my way to play these games anymore is because of the story. Well, the lack of one. That's the most important thing to me in a video game and it gets more important the older I grow. Sure, you need fun gameplay but if the story is bad or non-existent? Meh. I'll pass. Unless it's a MP focused game... then all bets are off. Haha.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I definitely prefer the 2D games. No question about it.

But the main reason I don't go out of my way to play these games anymore is because of the story. Well, the lack of one. That's the most important thing to me in a video game and it gets more important the older I grow. Sure, you need fun gameplay but if the story is bad or non-existent? Meh. I'll pass. Unless it's a MP focused game... then all bets are off. Haha.
I love a good story too. Games like The Last Of Us, Mass Effect, Starcraft, etc. really good stories.

With a game like Mario I obviously don’t play it for the story, for me it’s all about the incredibly beautiful design of the levels, artistic elements, and the really excellent and well designed gameplay mechanics. Nintendo has mastered creating this certain atmosphere that leaves me wanting more despite the fact that the story is extremely minimal and/or nonexistent.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have not played a new Mario game in the longest time. I prefer the much older ones - like the first three on Nintendo - and Super Mario World and Mario Kart on the SNES. I have actually been debating on buying a SNES online just to play those two games for old time sakes. Not really Mario, but I also really loved Wario Land on the gameboy.