• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 Mario 64 in 20 minutes and 1 life

Gamechamp

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
And I found 70 and 120 star runs at Speed Demos Archive
He already said he had found them. So go to that site to watch them. And by the way, what I meant by it being less impressive is that I had expected an actual run using clever tricks without glitches. I hadn't read Andrew's post till after seeing it. It still is impressive. Things aren't as impressive when they do something I didn't expect.

Shouldn't they be more impressive when they do something you don't expect?
Anyway, I watched the video, and thoroughly enjoyed it. His run through Bowser's lava course was absolutely awesome, aside from that one slipup vega mentioned. I actually had to laugh to myself because it was just crazy.
I don't like the fact that he used the glitches, but it certainly made the run more interesting and I also would not want to sit through a one or three hour speed run filled with star collecting.

Absolute

Registered Member
Woah.. that's crazy.. pretty impressive. What was the reason for backward jumping up the stairs? I didn't understand that part... did that make it so he could reach the door?

Watching that brings back memories.. that was a cool game.

Absolute

Registered Member
Ahh cool.. it's crazy the kind of glitches people find.

One thing though, when he got a star, couldn't he have just edited the video as it was loading back to the castle? It's very possible he did that... but maybe not.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Yeah, it's possible that he edited parts of it, and more than just those parts too. Really, the only safe way to do a run like this and make it perfectly legitimate would be to have either a double video or double audio source in it, which means that either (1) he'd have to tape a small stopwatch or something to the corner of the screen while he does it, or (2) have some kind of set radio broadcast on in the background at low volume so that you could turn it up and check it. But even then, there's ways to edit that in.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I watched the 70 star/1 hour speed run and I gotta say I was more impressed than I was with the 16 star video. It's the same kind of cool tricks and crazy risks in both videos, but there's a lot more of everything in the 70 star video. He does the whole thing with zero deaths and never plays anything safe, not even towards the end of the run. In fact, the 70th star is probably the most dangerous star he gets. He gets stars from every level except the first swimming one.

There are a handful of noticeable minor mistakes, but considering the length of the run and the high risk factor throughout, it's amazing there weren't any big mistakes that could have cost him serious time or ruined the run entirely. I recommend any fan of the game to download the video, I think you'll be impresssed. So many tricks and shortcuts I never knew about. Makes me want to play it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Oops, yeah, I forgot the link but it looks like RossMan got it. There's commentary for all 70 stars at the site too.