• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Awesome Marines go after hippie flying flag upside down

dDave

V.I.P.
I've got a few friends that are in the Marines. They decided to share this one with me today. Watch This Marine Go After Scooter-Riding Hippies Carrying Upside-Down American Flag

No, the guys in the video aren't people I know but I still think it says something. I feel as if the anger of these two Marines was justified given the way they were flying the flag. They serve our country and if they feel so compelled to command respect of the flag then so should we.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can understand why these marines wouldn't like this, I wouldn't either, however flying the flag upside down falls under freedom of speech.

If they had hurt this guy by taking this flag they would be the ones in trouble. If the guy calls the police they could have the marine charged with thief.

dDave

V.I.P.
I can understand why these marines wouldn't like this, I wouldn't either, however flying the flag upside down falls under freedom of speech.

If they had hurt this guy by taking this flag they would be the ones in trouble. If the guy calls the police they could have the marine charged with thief.
This is what the flag code says about flying the flag upside down.

"The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."
This means in time of immediate danger and you definitely couldn't use the upside down flag to represent the political/economic atmosphere of America. That would be a stretch.

Technically the flag code is actually Federal Law even though there's no penalty for not following it. The SCOTUS has also stated that punitive enforcement of a law such as the Flag Code would be in conflict with the first Amendment.

Still. I can understand why these Marines did this and I still think they did the right thing regardless of the law. Some people have to learn respect. I imagine that if I was in the military that I'd be pretty offended by someone like this flying the flag in this fashion. It's possible that their actions wouldn't be classified as punitive enforcement. There was no punishment other than the Marines taking the flag, they didn't attack him or anything.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I know its legal to disrespect the American flag but I still say, Good on those Marines! They risk their lives to defend America and if those hippies have issues with America then they can find other ways to protest.
As for me, I dont believe there are ever enough issues for someone to disrespect the flag. Well unless they arent really Americans. Disrespecting a flag is a very serious issue imo.

dDave

V.I.P.
I know its legal to disrespect the American flag but I still say, Good on those Marines! They risk their lives to defend America and if those hippies have issues with America then they can find other ways to protest.
As for me, I dont believe there are ever enough issues for someone to disrespect the flag. Well unless they arent really Americans. Disrespecting a flag is a very serious issue imo.
Right? Good on these guys, they have it right.

You know, technically the guy gave them the flag by throwing it on the ground and driving away. No violation of the first amendment here ;)

Here's what most people don't seem to get. Disrespecting the flag is simply anti-American, it's not protesting a certain viewpoint it's protesting America in general. Our flag is supposed to be a uniting symbol.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
They're in the wrong, end of conversation.

They're completely within their right to be mad and upset, it doesn't give them the right to charge and (essentially) assault someone over it. They reacted with violence and aggression and people are supporting them (and people wonder why outsiders view Americans as angry, stubborn people).

And sorry, but I have to get on my soapbox here but if this is disrespect of such a high order in regards to the American flag, then how disrespectful is making money off of it? What about all the American flag merchandise? Everything colored with the stars and stripes? Personally, I think it's a larger offense as to how marketed and consumer driven the flag has become.

Waving an upside flag is protected under free speech. Testosterone rages are not.

It's also worth noting that there is no proof here that either are marines. It's likely one of them is, but this is not an established fact so the title is misleading here and in the article.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
That went over my head but dDave is right. Disrespecting the flag is more than protest and it is anti-American. Maybe selling flags isnt patriotic. I dont know but at least it does support the US economy and thats cool. And mostly its the only way to get flags for the 4th of July.

And yeah they did surrender the flag and drove away like cowards. I mean I do like that ammendment that gives people freedom of expression but this is one time that I wish America had iits own division of Cossacks. Theres just some stuff that people should never do.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Nope. I agree with Merc. They're in the wrong.

There's little I can add except to say that it's going a little far to brand someone as being anti their country if they carry said country's flag upside down. There might be any number of reasons as to why they might be doing this. It might be a political statement. It might simply be because they're idiots causing trouble for the sake of causing trouble. They might have been airing it out after giving it a good wash, and forgot to check which way they had it flapping. Who knows?

What I do know is that at the end of the day a piece of cloth is not worth attacking people over. Sure, it's an inspiring symbol to many - and there's nothing wrong with that - but let's face it, it's much easier as a "marine" and "true patriot" to self righteously attack those who disrespect your precious symbol than it is to let them have the freedom of speech that you supposedly fought for - even when what they say or do is highly displeasing.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Maybe selling flags isnt patriotic. I dont know but at least it does support the US economy and thats cool. And mostly its the only way to get flags for the 4th of July.
Free speech is far for 'American' than any economy. Googling "American flag" with pretty much anything will show you how disgustingly commercialized the flag has become. I think it's a far bigger offense than some protestor on a scooter. Americans have had this problem for a while where we seem to go after the complete wrong source of the problem.

And yeah they did surrender the flag and drove away like cowards.
So not being a coward means facing down two screaming meat heads who ran full speed at you in the middle of the road? I'd be solidly convinced they have mental issues and wouldn't chance it because who knows what else they would do. If that means I'm not brave, then so be it.

Also, one of them was definitely following them.

I mean I do like that ammendment that gives people freedom of expression but this is one time that I wish America had iits own division of Cossacks. Theres just some stuff that people should never do.
I agree. Charging people on an open roadway, screaming, and threatening them is probably near the top of that list.

I have an interesting question here, what if this person was armed and shot? What if they turned around and gunned down one of the attackers? Why are we misleading people and suggesting that this is something only hippies do? We have a lot of people in this country who have things to protest who cannot be labeled 'hippies'.

Would it be okay for these men to be shot at? I mean, they're clearly approaching these people in a threatening manner and defending yourself is part of being American as we all know. What happens then?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was wondering that same thing Merc. What if one of these hippies was armed and shot the man after him. I would have certainly felt threatened by him if he came after me like that.

I just can't believe this marine, if he was, thought flying the flag upside down was as issue that warranted violence, not that I thought what the hippies were doing was okay. I would have found the marines actions much more dangerous to my well being.

I hope this isn't someone that gets hired by law enforcement as they often hire ex-military. He seems like a hot head to me.