Marines ban Twitter, Facebook, other sites

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by viLky, Aug 4, 2009.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Source: Marines ban Twitter, Facebook, other sites - CNN.com

On one hard I understand the security concerns and on the other it feels like overkill. Does YouTube really have trojans or worms on it unless you actually download something to your hard drive? I'm not all that techy, so I won't comment on it much, however I do think the Marines should be allowed to use these services. At the very least they should be able to use YouTube.

Don't take away ALL their fun. >.<;

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009

2. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

My sister is a marine and she goes on FaceBook and MySpace on her phone, it is the main way we get a hold of her. So, unless they take away phones next, we're all set. Ha.

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

When they say the sites are banned, what do they mean? Do they mean that you can't access them on government computers, using the government's internet providers? I don't have a problem with that. Especially during the workday.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree with it as long as the intent is to keep top secret information from leaking out by accident.

As for communicating with friends and family members, chances are a lot of these people are using these sites to do that as well. This will be annoying for them but in the end if it's a security risk then it's a security risk.

A lot of those sites have applications you can install onto your profile. Often times these pose severe security risks. How do you think those "Want to know who is reading your profile? Click here!" messages get posted by all your "friends"? Yeah, they got hit by a virus or trojan of some sort. Probably while playing some Mafia Wars or taking a survey. :-/

5. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I can understand why they have done this, the risk of letting people go on these sites and they accidentally let out some secret information is high, and I know it has happened before. The sad thing is that people won't be able to communicate as much because of this, and it will be a hard thing for families as well.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'm sure these sites are banned in other regular offices for the same reason. These are more personal sites anyway so users shouldn't have too much of a problem using their personal computers (or cellphones) instead to surf these than compromising their work computers (and work related data).

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, work related data such as top secret intel could still be leaked via a cell phone on Facebook. I wonder if they are going to address that as well.

This is going to make family communication with loved ones overseas harder though. Email is the next best option but that's not nearly as interactive.

8. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

I know some more recent phones have wireless capability, so I imagine that wouldn't be cool with the brass, but things like the EDGE network should be fine...right? or am I not thinking straight again?