Mariners are just too hard to watch

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Natsumi, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Natsumi

Natsumi Registered Member

It's like ever since Griffey retired the Mariners REALLY got a lot worse..I'm ashamed to say i'm a fan. They are just doing horribly..I can say it's safe to say Don Wakamatsu could VERY WELL be fired come the end of the season. After that scuffle with Chone Figgins, you can tell he has no control of the team, and it just seems he has no clue what he's doing at all!..But Griffey had to retire, he did it in a good way and at the proper time. He is without a doubt one of the few 600+ club homerun hitters to never hit the juice or get caught up in any performance enhancing drugs..and the guy as a person is just a class-act..No ego like some players. But of course Ichiro is my favorite player..and no, it's not because im Japanese..I do like others that are non-mariners too.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

You're a Mariners fan? You are now officially one of my favorite GFers. Don't be ashamed to be a fan - yeah, it's painful, but it shows you're loyal, and not just a bandwaggoner.

Unfortunately, there wasn't really any good way for Griffey to go. After the rumors of him being asleep when he was needed to pinch hit, no matter how he left, it would be awkward at best.

The issue between Wak and Figgins looks bad, but it might just be a case of people who are frustrated with the whole season getting caught up in the heat of the moment. It's possible (and hopeful) that it's not the start of even more problems.

A lot of the problems this year get kind of blown out of proportion. We got kind of lucky last year, which made people too optimistic. And this year, we've been fairly unlucky, we've had some underperformancing players - those things happen. Rebuilding takes time. I think we're headed in the right direction, slowly but surely.

3. Natsumi

I was at the Mother's Day game when they played the Angels and Griffey came over to us and talked before his At Bats as we sat on top the dugout he was super cool..Him and Ichiro had great chemistry. Other than baseball, I am a big fan of American Football as in, the gridiron. American Football is played at college level just like the U.S. and similar to Divisions, except they go by leagues in Japan. Other than that the rules are similar to the NCAA. My favorite pro team of course is the Dallas Cowboys! I was a dressed up like a Dallas Cowgirl cheerleader for Halloween last year! lol

4. Wade8813

I'm kinda jealous. I've never gotten to chat with any pro ballplayers, much less a legend like Griffey.

Griffey was my favorite player when I was a kid. I was sad to see him go to Cincinnati, but at least he left to be near his family (unlike A-Rod and Randy, who both made me upset with how they left the M's). I still have fond memories of the old Mariners lineups that had A-Rod, Griffey, Edgar, and Jay.

I kinda follow football, but I'm not a big fan (although my second favorite team after the Seahawks is the 49ers, so keep your Cowbo - wait, did you say you dressed up as a Cowboys cheerleader? Pics, or it didn't happen ;).

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread - how long would you guess it'll be before the Mariners are fun to watch again? Unfortunately, I think it'll be three years or more before we become real contenders.

5. Natsumi

Yeah, I wasn't living here in the U.S. when Buhner, Edgar, and the dynasty then were playing. I mostly watch the games in Japanese as thats how I like to enjoy them as since it reminds me of home ^^

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The Mariners are a mystery to me, they have a lot of good players but it seems like they can't put it all together. Before the season started I actually believe they would win the AL West, on paper they look like a very dangerous team.

It just seems that everyone is struggling right now, even Ichiro is having issues, he's barely hitting .300 at the moment. They did get a real talented prospect in the Lee deal which is good, but there's still some moves to be done this season in my opinion.

7. Wade8813

Yeah, Ichiro was off to a good start but has slowed down. Felix was off to a bad start, but is finally turning things around now that it's too late. Lee showed up late to the party, dominated, then got traded. Chone has been really bad, and Bedard quite possibly won't throw a single pitch other than in the minor leagues.

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I love how you say Ichiro is doing bad when he is "barely hitting .300" which is better than more than half the players out there. Lol

Anyway, I understand how you feel, I'm a KC Royals fan. Atleast you guys had hope this year. I do agree with Babe though, I thought the mariners were going to be a team to contend with. They are my favorite team outside of KC and I was looking forward to atleast them being succesfull ha.

I wouldn't blow the Figgins deal out of proportion, I don't think it's that big of a deal. That's like earlier this year with Hanley Ramirez.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Were used to see Ichiro hitting .350, that's why we said he's struggling, but I understand what you're trying to say in this instance.

It's just mind boggling that a team with so much talent on the roster cannot perform at a high level. Who's to blame? The Coach? The Players? Team management are probably asking themselves that same question.

It's a shame about Bedard actually, he had strong start to his career, but then injuries started kicking in and he hasn't be the same ever since. Hopefully he'll be able to rebound at some point. He actually live fifteen minutes away from my house.

10. Natsumi

In that case I'll just pretend like I didn't even start this thread..

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010