Marijuana users a sub-culture or counterculture?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Doc, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

This question was brought up in my Sociology class. My argument was that the culture surrounding marijuana use in the United States is a sub-culture because, while illegal, it doesn't bring harm to others. A counterculture diligently works against society. The culture surrounding marijuana doesn't hurt anyone or any social structure directly.

2. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

I agree. This is exactly why i think it is a crock of shit for the stuff to be illegal, that and, its kind of our right to toke up. However, people ARE hurt by the stuff. In particular, Afghanistani mountains. Their, it is against the law to harvest marijuana, and so the Gov't burns the crops down, but it is the best crop for the climate conditions and soil, so the farmers have very little else to plant that won't bankrupt them, so they pay Taliban fighters to defend the land, so the crop technically fuels terrorism. (How much of that weed reaches the US is anybodies guess though.....)

Jeanie likes this.
  3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I agree with this. It's rare to see people who smoke pot act out against society. It's just that sometimes people who act out against society, smoke pot, and thus give it a bad name. For the most part though, people I know who smoke pot aren't doing it to fight against the man. They just wanna toke up, pass the time, have fun and then go to sleep. In fact, most pot heads I know are pretty respectful of the law.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's a matter of perspective. Some people will say counterculture because of the few people who let pot run their lives but for the most part, pot smokers aren't doing anything to bring harm to the country. Hell, I think more people should smoke judging by how uptight the whole fucking country is these days.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

For the most part, the marijuana culture is a sub-culture, but when you're talking about organizations such as NORML, that could be considered counter-culture in that their primary aim is to change the status quo.

6. Doc

I'm a little surprised at the answers. I brought up the subject because my Sociology professor a year or so ago threw me out of the class for arguing that it was a subculture and not a counter-culture. It drove me nuts. I actually dropped the class twice because I kept getting the same professor and I rarely agreed with her.

Does anyone think it is a counter-culture and why?

7. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

makes me wonder how old this professor is and what her background is. It seems like someone who lived through the 60s and 70s but did not participate in the counterculture movement would be more likely to still see the marijuana culture as a counterculture movement rather than a sub-culture.

8. Doc

She was in her 50's and very conservative. She couldn't be budged.

9. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Here in California there is a distinct 'good citizen' mind set among the medicinal marijuana community. Folks have been known to turn others in, for example, for not paying proper sales tax. I'd be hard pressed to find any element of counterculture in the marijuana-oriented population by today's standards, when the song "Punkrocker" is used to sell Cadillacs and "Blitzkrieg Bop" is bumper music on kids' TV.

Sim likes this.
  10. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I completely agree with this. For the most part it is a sub-culture. You could consider examples like Jeanie gave as a counter-culture but other than that I don't see it as one.