• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

March hottest worldwide since 1880

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is alarming, although you couldn't prove it by me, this winter, including March, was pretty cold here, colder than normal. Which I know that wasn't true for everywhere. Some places were much warmer than normal here in the US.

March was hottest worldwide since 1880

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
1.53 degrees F is not alarming to me. Something to keep an eye on, not something to panic over.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No I wouldn't panic over it but places like California were really warm last winter and basically received no snow. Then places like Siberia are thawing.

Stego

Registered Member
"Global warming" is a misnomer, as it is more appropriately named "climate change," thus the varying experiences.

It's human perspective vs geological and cosmic perspective. A couple degrees don't mean much to us over the course of our very short lifespans. But the average temperature over hundreds and hundreds of years shapes ecosystems.

Pew research finds that all the statistics in the world don't usually sway the masses. You need what's called a "broker of trust" to influence people. Climate change is just too big, too overwhelming, and too scary to consider for most people.

The West Coast is having an almost biblical drought. "Man, this is so weird. Can't wait for it to rain again."

Storms are getting more intense, more unpredictable, and more frequent. "Man, can't wait for these crazy storms to stop popping up. That's so weird."

The coasts are changing, coral reefs are disappearing, and the saline levels are falling around the globe. "Man, what's up with the oceans? That's so weird."

It's too late and it's already here. Unfortunately, this is one cake we've spent years baking and it's just started rising. Even if we stopped all carbon output, all methane production, all that we are currently doing, we've basically already pushed hard enough on the pendulum that it's going to keep moving for years to come. It's not a boiling pot we can keep an eye on and turn down if it starts bubbling over.

The only thing greater in force than the momentum of climate change is the inertia of people.

I think the only way we're truly going to check ourselves as a global civilization is by destroying most of ourselves first.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree with everything you said. I think the saline levels are probably falling because of ice melt. That is probably why the gulf stream is slowing down and may possibly stop if Greenland has a big melt.