March 4th Trade Deadline

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Hockey Trading Deadline is fast approaching. It's a pretty big event here in Canada, we have a few sports channels that cover the trading deadline for ten hours during the day, they talk about specific trades, the rumours that are going on, and all sorts of interesting hockey related stuff. It's pretty entertaining to watch.

Now do you believe your team will be sellers or buyers?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's a tough call with the St Louis Blues because they are right in the mix of it. In fact, the entire Western Conference has a legit shot to make the playoffs. I know there are rumblings of trading Keith Tkachuk but for now I think the Blues should try and win this year. We got McDonald and Polak back and Chris Mason is the hottest goalie in the league...I'd ride it out.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Canadiens will definitely be buyers, they got a good puck moving defenceman already, which as helped him a lot. The power play is on fire lately, and Schneider scored twice since joining the Habs. Now they need to get a good scoring Center, someone like Olli Jokinen would be amazing. But they'll have to give up a lot to get someone like him.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Canadiens will definitely be buyers, they got a good puck moving defenceman already, which as helped him a lot. The power play is on fire lately, and Schneider scored twice since joining the Habs. Now they need to get a good scoring Center, someone like Olli Jokinen would be amazing. But they'll have to give up a lot to get someone like him.
Why is it that I've heard Alexei Kovalev's name come up in trade rumors?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well Kovalev as been inconsistent, and a week ago, he had zero goals in 13 games. You cant have that from your best player.

Gainey told him to take a small break, so he stayed home for the mini two game road trip against Washington and Pittsburgh. So a lot of teams believed he was on the trading block because of this. Kovalev came back last Saturday, and seemed to be a different player, he scored one goal on a small breakaway, and he got two assists, he seem like the old great Kovalev. So I personally don't think he's on the trading block anymore, and hopefully he can keep it up.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well Kovalev as been inconsistent, and a week ago, he had zero goals in 13 games. You cant have that from your best player.

Gainey told him to take a small break, so he stayed home for the mini two game road trip against Washington and Pittsburgh. So a lot of teams believed he was on the trading block because of this. Kovalev came back last Saturday, and seemed to be a different player, he scored one goal on a small breakaway, and he got two assists, he seem like the old great Kovalev. So I personally don't think he's on the trading block anymore, and hopefully he can keep it up.
So I see...that makes sense. Here are some names that have come up on the rumor mill...this was posted on Saturday...

INTERESTING NAMES EMERGING AS NHL DEADLINE NEARS

Playoff races aside, there will be trades on Mar. 4 and based on the discussions taking place now we've compiled a list of the Top 10 most interesting trade possibilities.
No. 10 - Alex Kovalev. NHL executives are curious about his future in Montreal. If Bob Gainey wants to cut ties, there are teams willing to consider the risk.
No. 9 - The Oilers are believed to be one team interested in Kovalev and sources say Edmonton forward Erik Cole could be worked into a package as the Oilers search for a top line forward.
No. 8 - Chris Pronger. How the Anaheim Ducks play over the next two weeks will determine whether Pronger is truly in the mix. The most likely scenario is that the Ducks hold on to Pronger for their playoff push and reconsider trading him at the draft.
No. 7 - Ryan Whitney. With the return of Sergei Gonchar, the Penguins have a stockpile of blueliners and league sources say Whitney could fetch the quality forward Ray Shero is seeking.
No. 6 - Olli Jokinen. The Phoenix centre is available but NHL GMs wonder about a 10-year player who has never once been in the playoffs.
No. 5 - Jay Bouwmeester. The Panthers have talked to a number of teams and has a variety of trade scenarios to consider, but it's possible Bouwmeester has a change of heart and stays.
No. 4 - Nik Antropov may headline the parade of players out of Toronto. Brian Burke has established the asking price for Antropov - a first round draft pick.
No. 3 - Philadelphia prospect James van Riemsdyk. The University of New Hampshire forward, picked second in 2007, has been linked to Atlanta in a deal that would see a goalie going to the Flyers.
No. 2 - Thrashers goalie Kari Lehtonen is of interest to the Flyers. If Atlanta GM Don Waddell continues to rebuild, swapping Lehtonen for a prospect such as Van Riemsdyk would have to be seriously considered.
No. 1 - Ryan Smyth. Colorada needs to cut payroll and Francois Giguere is talking to teams about Smyth. The Avs won't ask Smyth to waive his no-trade unless there's a decent deal tabled. Teams are working on their offers now.
These are big names that may require big deals for teams to pull the trigger. However, this list of 10 present some powerful possibilities

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe Lehtonen going to Philadelphia woud help his career, he's a talented goalie, he's just been unlucky because he's been playing with the Thrashers all of his career. But giving up on van Riemsdyk is a big risk, I see this kid having a bright future. I wouldn't mind having Ryan Smyth either, he's a leader and he's very talented, but I much rather have Jokinen to be honest.

Turbo

Registered Member
the Rangers need to do something...with coach renney being fired today it leaves the new coach 3 games to do something before the deadline...i think the rangers need to move one of the let down contracts; rozsival, redden or naslund; and bring in a better d-man and/or a solid shooter for drury or gomez to set up.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think the Rangers biggest concern is defence, they should try to get Bouwmeester or Kaberle. I know those two players would be pretty expensive to trade for, but that's what they need. They already have good offensive players, they just need to improve on the back end. I knew right away that signing Redden would be a terrible mistake, he's been stinking it up in Ottawa for years.

Turbo

Registered Member
i had thought redden might just need a change of scenery but its obvious now that wasn't the case. i think redden for kaberle or bouwmeester could be a possible trade as it'd be a swapping of deals...provided someone will bite on redden as trade bait