• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

March 19th = Doomsday?

Dabs

Registered Member
Seems we already have some freaky shit happening, what with the floods, the tornadoes, the earthquakes- actually that crap happens all the time. I say not much we can do till Match 19th rolls around, then see what's to come. Whatever happens, happens.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Seems we already have some freaky shit happening, what with the floods, the tornadoes, the earthquakes- actually that crap happens all the time. I say not much we can do till Match 19th rolls around, then see what's to come. Whatever happens, happens.
Exactly my thoughts on all this doomsday crap. None of this is true, so I read this all as if a kook was writing it.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Nah, that's 2012. :lol:

But seriously, the moon isn't all that big of a deal. Our moon could blow up, and it still wouldn't have that huge of an impact on us, except a change in tidal flow and whatnot.

Although...Super Saiyan 5,000!! :hah:

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Nah, that's 2012. :lol:

But seriously, the moon isn't all that big of a deal. Our moon could blow up, and it still wouldn't have that huge of an impact on us, except a change in tidal flow and whatnot.

OK, if we had no moon, would we have no night time?

Impact

V.I.P.
Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters? - Yahoo! News

This is an interesting thought.

Apparently, according to a few scientists, since the moon will be the closest it has been to Earth in 18 years, it is said that many different natural phenomena may take place on March 19th...

Thoughts?
Interesting you bring that up. The dude that predicted the past two big NZ quakes in the last 6 months has predicted another big one for March 20th, and he has a day on each side as margin for error. Could be interesting to see how that works in with the whole moon thing if he is right again

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
OK, if we had no moon, would we have no night time?
Nope, we'd still have a night-time. The moon isn't particularly linked to the night anyway. There are nights when we can't see the moon, and days when we can still see the moon. The sky would still be dark without the moon, you'd still see the stars, etc. The only reason we can see the moon is because it reflects the sun's light.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
If the Moon being close causes natural disasters, and this is the closest the Moon has been in 18 years..... Then, uh... Then why didn't the world end 18 years ago?

:lol: As a side note, it's extremely important to note that the expert behind this article was an astrologer not and astronomer. Modern astrologers know nothing about space; they deal with the Zodiac and what not, it has nothing to do with science.

So what would happen because of a closer Moon?

1. Tides would be higher.
  2. A couple animals might act kooky; I've seen a couple articles suggesting the Moon might play a role in how certain animals behave.
  3. I guess air pressure could be lower than usual during high tide; presumably this would have a effect on the weather.
I can't really think of anything else...
------
EDIT - My Dad just got home and said he was listening to the radio; apparently there was a guy on there talking about just this. Some Russians(?) are predicting an absolutely massive earthquake along the San Andreas fault in the US within the next two weeks due to this. However, the worry here is not only that the Moon will be closer to the Earth... But rather the coincidence of this incident with the Spring Equinox, which could put the gravity of the Moon in line with the gravity of the Sun. :dunno: Sounds plausible.

Last edited:

Iris

rainbow 11!
You know, I read the thread title and rolled my eyes the other day. (Not at you, OP, but the idea of another world ending story)

And then I heard about Japan. Now I'm not so sure. What Jay said seems plausible, I'm still skeptical but I definitely listening out for anything out of the ordinary.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Ask any police officer or emergency room nurse and they'll tell you that the full moon definitely has an effect on peoples' behavior. Some scientists like to deny this but I've heard enough anecdotal evidence to know that there is definitely something to it.

So then the question becomes, what shenanigans will Charlie Sheen be up to that day?