Marc Bergevin: A Trade Wizard?

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
Marc Bergevin was hired on may 2nd, 2012. Since then, he has built a team to his liking. he made deals for players he wanted and dealt players who were not on his ideal team. He will always be remembered for sending the iconic P.K. Subban to the Nashville Predators for the Man Mountain, Shea Weber. While Weber has been as solid as advertised, it is still early to decide who won. Bergevin has conducted 32 trades since he came to the podium. here is how i classify the deals.

Very good deal: This puts into context players who are still here or not that helped the team achieve high goals.
Good deal: This puts into context players who met expectations:
Descent deal: This section is a deal that didn't give much but didn't hurt the team
No production: Says it all
Bad deal: This puts into context a player who was traded and is lighting the lamp or playing well
Catastrophic: Trading a player who has become a star
Too early to decide: These deals were conducted lately in the past few months and are too early to decide

I wont be mentioning every deal only the ones that should of had an impact and didn't and vice-versa.

Very Good Deals:

• February 3, 2014: Habs send Raphael Diaz to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Dale Weise. The reason i put Weise here is because he exceeded expectations and become a key part of the 2014 playoffs. He was an instant favorite and i still enjoy watching him play. Diaz didn't last very long in Vancouver.
  • March 2, 2015; Habs acquire Jeff Petry from the Edmonton Oilers for a 2015 2nd round pick and a 2015 conditional 5th round pick. This was magic, if magic exists. My oh my did this become a great deal. Petry is now part of the habs top 4 core and even team core. He is so solid that this could be a steal. Petry is still with the Habs today playing a very important role.
Good deals:
  • February 26, 2013: Habs acquire Michael Ryder and a 2013 3rd round pick for Erik Cole, sending him to the Dallas Stars. This was a god deal for the Canadiens. They let go of a player who had term, got a player who was productive and got a descent pick. Ryder played well and Cole, not so much.
  • March 4th, 2014: Habs acquire Mike Weaver from the Florida Panthers in exchange of a 5th round pick in 2015. Mike Weaver became a very dependable player and this deal was a good one. He wasn't flashy in any way but did what he had to do in order to stay in the lineup.
  • March 5, 2014: HAbs acquire Thomas Vanek and 2014 conditional 5th round pick and send Sebastien Collberg as well as 2014 conditional 2nd round pick. A rabbit from a hat, that's what this deal was. Even better actually. While Vanek only lasted the remainder of the season, he played well and it's a shame he did not stay. Lack of playoff production shipped him out but no doubt he was a good deal.
  • July 1, 2014: Habs send Josh Gorges to the Buffalo Sabres for a 2016 2nd round pick. It's not often that team deals a player who gives his heart and soul for, to another team for a pick. This deal falls under "good" because it liberated cap space and a player who was on the decline. 2nd rounder would have been nice ti draft someone with but was traded for a player who admire a lot.

• November 11, 2014: Habs ship Travis Moen to the Dallas Stars for Sergei Gonchar. By no means was Gonchar a top defenseman, but he helped a lot and was descent for his age. Nathan Beaulieu was happy to be his partner.
  • March 2, 2015: Habs acquire Torrey Mitchell from the Buffalo Sabres for Jack Nevins and a 2016 7th round pick. This is a genius deal. Mitchell was not only really good during that season, he has become a strong member of this team. Even though he is a 4th liner, he is a quality player. Well done Marc!
  • February 16, 2016: Habs package Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann and send them to the Chicago Blackhawks for Philip Danault and a 2018 2nd round pick. Reason why this deal is up here and not on the "Too early to decide" is because Weise and Fleischmann are no longer with the Blackhawks and Danault has played very well. 2nd rounder is very nice.
  • June 24, 2016: Habs ship Lars Eller to the Washington Capitals for a 2017 2nd round pick and a 2018 2nd round pick. Reason why this is good is because of the return. 2 2nd round picks is pretty good for player who was no longer part of the future.
Descent deal:
  • Feb 14, 2013: The Habs send Cedrick Desjardins to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Dustin Tokarski. Even though Dustin ended up losing his job to Mike Condon, who lost his job to Al Montoya, Tokarski was very serviceable during the 2014 stanley cup playoffs. Desjardins has been heard from very often.
  • July 2nd, 2013: Habs trade Danny Kristo to the NY Rangers for Christian Thomas. Trading Danny Kristo was a big puzzling for some fans since he was rated very high on the prospect depth chart, yet had off-ice problems according to sources at that time. In return, the Canadiens got a descent player in Thomas who when in then lineup did okay.
  • June 30, 2014: Habs acquire Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau and a 2015 5th round pick for Daniel Briere. I loved this deal when it happened because i liked Parenteau a lot. He had a descent year with the Canadiens but cut short, was bought out after the playoffs. Briere was okay for the Avalanche but nothing spectacular. 5th round pick was nice.

• March 2, 2015: Habs acquire Brian Flynn from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for a 2016 5th round pick. No way has Flynn become bad, he's serviceable, but not to the qualities of Mitchell. I think he's a good 4th liner and remains one for now.
  • July 1, 2015: Habs acquire Zack Kassian and a 2016 5th round pick for Brandon Prust. Got younger, more cap space and a draft pick. Descent in my opinion. Even though Kassian was traded soon after, was not a big deal.
No production:
  • Jan 14, 2013: Habs Acquire Jason DeSantis for Brendon Nash, to Florida. This deal is probably forgotten by everyone but it did happen. Other than that, there has been no effect.
  • April 2nd 2013: Habs acquire Davis Drewiske from the LA Kings for a 2013 5th round pick. Drewiske has descent upside to be a depth defenseman but never seemed to crack the lineup long enough. didn't hurt the team but didn't do much for them.
  • July 5th, 2014: Habs acquire George Parros from the Florida Panthers in exchange of Philippe Lefebvre and a 2014 7th round pick. This isn't necessarily a bad deal but it isn't a great deal. While the assets given up didn't hurt, George Parros didn't help. Getting injured in the first game on a freak accident didn't help either.
  • June 14, 2014: Habs send Louis Leblanc to the Anaheim Ducks for 2015 conditional 5th round pick. Reason i put this deal up here is because Louis Leblanc was a 1st round pick. It's a shame he did not pan out but it was time to move on. 0 production.

• November 20, 2014: Habs acquire Bryan Allen from the Anaheim Ducks for Rene "Almost" Bourque. This was a shame. Not the deal, but that Rene Bourque had fallen so low. He had big shoes to fill and never was consistent enough to do so. The 2014 playoffs were nice, but that is all.
  • February 24, 2015: Habs send Jiri Sekac to the Anaheim Ducks for Devante Smith-Pelly. Remember Jiri? I do at least. While he had good upside, the team cut ties early and acquired DSP instead. While eh should have become a good hard hitting 3rd liner, he became the 13th forward instead.
  • December 28, 2015: Habs acquire goalie Ben Scrivens for Zack Kassian. This deal was okay at best.
  • January 15, 2016: Habs acquire Victor Bartley and John Scott for Jarred Tinordi and Stefan Fournier. This was a mess for the league, but nothing came out of this. Reason this trade is here because Tinordi was a 1st round pick.
Bad deal: None

Catastrophic:
None

Too early to decide:

• June 24, 2016: Habs acquire Andrew Shaw from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for a 2016 2nd round pick and a 2016 2nd round pick. I see way too many people hating on Shaw. Do i think we traded too much? Yes, but we had little time and Shaw will end up showing his worth. In a perfect world, we would have given up 1 pick but we aren't in a perfect world. Seeing Debrincat sign was tough but i expect Shaw to pick it up.

• June 29, 2016: Habs acquire Shea Weber from the Nashville Predators for PK Subban. The 23 minutes that shook the NHL world, was thanks to this deal. I'd have to admit, i was pretty shocked when it happened, for a good few hours. But then I realized that we had gotten Shea Weber and that he would do wonders. He has done very well so far bu it's been a small sample size. we still have time.
To conclude, Bergevin has had a good record when it comes to trades and for that, i say B+. The reason i don't give him an A we need him to acquire more core players. The Shaw and Weber deals could give him a higher score but it's early. Had the McDonagh deal been his or the Camamlleri one, he'd have a lower score but those are past bad trades from past bad GM's. Marc Bergevin, continue your good work!

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
Interesting read. I'd probably drop each trade down a slot. The Andrew Shaw trade combined with the Contract is going to be very regrettable I'm thinking. I liked the Weber for Subban trade at the time, because I thought this team need less flash and more substance. Good team, didn't need the mistakes. Unfortunately a lack of scoring is still hampering the team. The question is, why has Bergevin not brought in a true top 2 centre?