• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Man's U.S. Flag Called a "Threat"

dDave

V.I.P.
... to the Muslim community.

Man told to take down American flag because it may be considered a ?threat to the Muslim community? – Glenn Beck

I don't see how anybody could disagree with Glenn on this. Who knows? Some of you might.

I think this is sort of outrageous. How in the world can the American Flag be offensive or threatening to anyone IN America? Sorry, if it is then you're going to have to get over it. If you're going to be in America and be anti-American, that's your choice, don't expect for the rest of us to respect you though.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you are a Muslim in the US and see the US Flag as a threat then what are you doing here to begin with. If you were born here then I really don't understand it.

Happy he's not taking it down.

I have lived in apartment complexes where you weren't allowed to hang anything on the balcony. I was half way expecting this to be the case here but I was wrong.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
There should be respect for the American flag but its even legal to desecrate the flag.
Flag Desecration Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They should make a Constitutional Amendment to protect the right to display the flag too. And this isnt the Middle East its America. If those Islamic people are offended by America then they shouldnt even be here. Nobody should be living in a country they dont support.
And btw that woman that told him to take his flag down and not offend the Muslim community really needs to visit Mosul Iraq. She needs to know more about the people she is defending and how important the American flag is. I mean she really doesnt need to live here if she doesnt believe in American freedom.

I totally do support his right to be proud of America. Just dont let the Bloodhound Gang get too close to the flag.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wonder if any Muslim was offended by the flag or if that was just her excuse to harass him because she doesn't like him for some reason.

dDave

V.I.P.
I wonder if any Muslim was offended by the flag or if that was just her excuse to harass him because she doesn't like him for some reason.
If she doesn't like him then she shouldn't have signed a contract with him just days earlier.

I think it's right for this guy to stand up for this. It's absurd to say that someone can't fly an American flag in America unless they are disrespecting the flag or if there's a legitimate safety concern. Neither of these apply here on any level whatsoever.

Screw offending people. I am tired of living in a society where everyone has to be careful not to offend anyone else, especially anti-Americans.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
. If you're going to be in America and be anti-American, that's your choice, don't expect for the rest of us to respect you though.
You don't have to respect them (if that's what you choose) but you have no say in the matter due to the first amendment. People are perfectly allowed to be upset with their country and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

To be honest, I see where the argument coming from. A lot of Americans are incredibly rude and xenophobic towards Muslims for no rational reason. If I was a Muslim here in America, I'd feel incredibly disliked, hated in some parts. I don't see how removing the flag helps anybody, but I do see where the argument comes from. It's the landlord complying with their own rules (a complex that has an American flag on it, mind you), it's the comment that we can only assume was made that is getting people mad.

This whole "OH NO, DERP DERP WHY DID HE TAKE DA FLAG DOWN? U HATE MURRICKAH?" train of responses from many people shows how little we care about the actual details of a 'story' and how many people are actually reading what happened. It stinks of fear-mongering which given the source, is not surprising. Is the landlord an idiot? Sounds like it, but could this guy be making it up? Absolutely. Once again, like any American news outlet, we're left with a story when exposed, is built on a bed of "apparently's" and "supposedly's" and the reports have gone to the races with it.

This isn't a 'story', it's a petty landlord and an opportunistic tenant. There is no scandal and there is nothing outrageous. The article goes into zero detail about what the complex's policies are, the fact that this tenant was already apparently violating them several days into his residency, and does not bother to present any other relevant facts such as the so called "aesthetics" of the building and if that is even a legitimate argument. Nope, let's scare up the audience with some good ol' fashion "MURRICKAH GON' DIE" storytelling.

On a related note, do I see the flag itself as a threat? No. Do I believe my country has my best interests at heart? Sadly, that's also a no. In a day and age where my government is watching and recording everything I do, the police are brutalizing citizenry (and lashing out against being taped), and my neighbors grow more trigger happy by the day in fear of one another, I actually think the flag IS becoming someone 'threatening' so to say.

============================

Here's the apartment complex in question:

Most places like this have pretty strict rules about placing anything on the outside of your unit. When you think about this, it's really not about anything anti-American or anything stupid like that, it's about a tenant refusing to follow a policy. If people want to get worked up and start slinging "get out of my country"'s (as Glenn's article is now littered with in the comments section) then that's fine.

They're getting upset over nothing.

Last edited:

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Thats a really clean apartment complex. Who lives there? Zombies?
In Russia the flag is displayed anywhere and everywhere and nobody ever desecrates it. If that cant be true here then thats really sad.

dDave

V.I.P.
Merc. Sound as your argument may be, it doesn't change the fact that the American flag was called a threat to Muslims. If she wanted to reference something in the rules of the complex, sure, but calling it a threat is pretty bad. It's America, you can (and will) see flags just about everywhere. Are all the flags in public threatening too?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Merc. Sound as your argument may be, it doesn't change the fact that the American flag was called a threat to Muslims. If she wanted to reference something in the rules of the complex, sure, but calling it a threat is pretty bad. It's America, you can (and will) see flags just about everywhere. Are all the flags in public threatening too?
Firstly, why is it offensive to call it a threat? I could agree that it's offensive, I just want to hear your reasoning. To play devil's advocate, we've been bombing the middle east for a long time now (where many Muslims reside) and Americans are not very accepting of Muslims, many of us apparently thinking that Muslim = terrorist.

Secondly, you, like everyone else, are assuming that the comments were even made. It sounds a bit sensationalist. I'm sure it's a possibility, but this is a "he said/she said" type of tale.

To turn this argument around is easy, what about the bigots who thought a mosque anywhere near ground zero was not only threatening, but insulting to America when it clearly was not?

Face it, this is just a story designed to rile people up. There is no scandal, there is nothing crazy, it's just fear mongering.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
None of those are reasons to say the flag is a threat. First off where is all this alleged Muslim hatred? Where are all these anti Muslim communities? Secondly, so what if we've bombed some parts of the Middle East, there used to be a lot of discrimination and racism against Hispanics, how does that mean the US flag or Texas flag is a threat? Lastly, IF this alleged Muslim hatred exist, and it doesn't, then leave. Nobody is here by force.