• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Man's bad decisions

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I just read an article about the problems Australia has with a toad called the "Cane Toad". Only 100 of these were introduced into Australia nearly 70 years ago by man as a form of pest control, now, the toad it's self is a bigger threat than any other pest in Australia causing localized extinctions of other animal species.

Below is the article and a youtube video to show how this has happened.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Toxic toads 'threaten disaster'

YouTube - Cane toads 'invade' Western Australia - 12 Nov 08

Please share your thoughts to this, or maybe you know of other bad decisions man has made on ecological or other levels?

Last edited:

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I don't understand how they thought releasing poisonous frogs, strong enough to kill crocodiles, into a sugar field would be a good idea. They would naturally breed.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
How true this is I am not sure but I read in a Bill Bryson book (who is usually a trust worthy source) that many years ago when the British went over to Austrailia rabbits were brought over for sport, rabbits being the way they then started to eat most of the grass that was being eaten by the local animals and as a result caused real problems to the eco system. You do have to wonder if we as a specias we think before we act...

Impact

V.I.P.
You have to realise that these things were released a long time a go. Back then I doubt they weighed up, or even thought about the negative aspects. Another bad decision similar to this would be the introduction of the Possum to New Zealand. They were introduced to start a fur industry, but because they had no natural predators their numbers spiralled. Its legal to hunt them at any time, there are traps and poison set up for them practically everywhere because its so hard to control them.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
You have to realise that these things were released a long time a go. Back then I doubt they weighed up, or even thought about the negative aspects. Another bad decision similar to this would be the introduction of the Possum to New Zealand. They were introduced to start a fur industry, but because they had no natural predators their numbers spiralled. Its legal to hunt them at any time, there are traps and poison set up for them practically everywhere because its so hard to control them.
I have never actually looked at what a Possum looks like - they are rather cute :)