• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

~Manga vs Graphic Novel~

Do you like to read Mangaor Graphic Novel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi all.

Since we had a thread that asked what the dif was between Manga and comics so I thought I would do a thread about Manga VS Graphic Novel.

So let's define what a Graphic Novel is..A Graphic Novel is a longer extended Comic with a few rules thrown out. How can you get around the CCA rules and guidelines you ask?

Well the GN isn't sold on the open shelves right next to the comics. Most of the GN are one shots with guest artist and wrighters, and some are based on actual events mixed into the comic world ( like 911).
These GN are censored and must meet certain standards of the CCA.

Now Mangas don't have to conform to anything as strict as the CCA but they have to conform to a NR 13, NR 17, and NR must be 18 to purchase.
Now what are the NR 13,17,and 18? NR means No readingKind of like our movie and video game ratings, now they use and art and story censer for the different age restrictions.

Also Mangas can cover a wide range of topics that are too hot for the CCA.

Now that we know a bit more about the subject what is your favorite Manga or Graphic Novel and which do you prefer to read?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't really ever read either. Do you have some picture examples of each and how they are different? Graphic Novels are more like US comics aren't they? Similar to Manga but minus the Japanese look and feel?

Teorropy

I haven't read any, I don't really know what Graphic Novel is, or at least not by that name. What would it be exactly? That way I can decide better.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Yes, exactly. Graphic Novels are essentially just US comics, but longer than normal and with a higher price tag on them.

Wait, so why do some stores label manga as "Graphic Novels" when they're supposedly different?

I was always under the impression that manga = graphic novel and comics were their own thing.

neum985

I pwn noobs
Man i feel like such a noob never reading any comics before, besides the ones in the newspaper

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Neither graphic novels or manga are actually comics, heh.

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
Wait, so why do some stores label manga as "Graphic Novels" when they're supposedly different?

I was always under the impression that manga = graphic novel and comics were their own thing.
Not all stores know or care about the difference. The term Graphic Novel was originally used only for US comics that were extra long, similar to the definition Nightsurfer gave in the first post. Since then, some people have begun to apply it to any comic like book that has a flat spine, like manga and comic trade paperbacks (collections of multiple issues of a normal comic book).

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
oj ok. But any common person wouldn't know about the difference. Before I read the thread, I had manga=graphic novel=Japanese and comic=american

Malificus

Likes snow
I've read good GNs, but my absolute favorites are still manga