• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mandatory Tipping?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
People who wait tables in the US must have terrible wages if they have to rely on tipping. Over here I know heaps of people who get a really decent salary from waiting tables, so no tipping is ever needed really.

Oh man, if I ever travel to America I am going to struggle so much with this haha. Is it true you have to try and figure out percentages and stuff?

Bosox04

Registered Member
People who wait tables in the US must have terrible wages if they have to rely on tipping. Over here I know heaps of people who get a really decent salary from waiting tables, so no tipping is ever needed really.

Oh man, if I ever travel to America I am going to struggle so much with this haha. Is it true you have to try and figure out percentages and stuff?

Usually between $2-$3 per hour (minimun wage is $7.25/hr.)

Sometimes the recipt will have the percetages on there (15%=x, 20%=y, 25%=z)

Bosox04

Registered Member
WHOA Geez. 2-3 an hour! That wouldn't even be legal over here. No wonder they need tips.
They get away with it because it's deemed a position that is frequently tipped...therefore they're going to make more than minimum.

That's why I say the owners are just cheap bastards.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Haha no offense to the US but I think I like the system here much more. We have legal requirements for how much someone needs to be paid depending on their age, and it's usually pretty good. I think it's something like $15 an hour for those who are 17 or under, and it increases as the age goes up, and thats the standard minimum.

In my last job I got $550 a week which was the legal amount for the hours I worked when I was 19.

Last edited:

Bosox04

Registered Member
I agree...US labor laws need to pick up with the times.

Dabs

Registered Member
I don't like the idea of "mandatory" tips, the idea of someone in the restaurant establishment telling me I HAVE to tip kind of pisses me off. What if the service is shitty? But, I tend to always leave a nice tip while dining out. I have been a waitress before and I know the long hard hours they put in with little pay, and most rely on those tips. But at the same time, I don't want to be forced to leave a tip. I leave a tip amount according to how well I was being serviced. How friendly the waitress is, how many times she came back to refill my drink, if she came back to check and see if my food was cooked properly, etc. I have come across some excellant waitresses/waiters and I have seen a few who sucked. I tend to get real pissy if you don't come back and refill my drink.

Raos

Registered Member
What I find funny about restaurants adding a tip to the bill is they usually add 18%. My standard tip is 20% and I adjust up for service above and beyond and down for sub par service. Both above and beyond and sub par are rare though so the restaurants that add 18% are usually screwing themselves out of another 2% from me.