• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mandatory Tipping?

Bosox04

Registered Member
The reason why it's mandatory is because "6 tops" or more typically take up ATLEAST two tables, and when a server has a section of only say 4 tables that's half of their potential money, not to mention the fact that bigger parties tend to take longer, so you're killing more time for the server to make money.

No actually not correct. It is not always a persons choice to work in a certain field. No offense, but that's a very naive thing to say. I have a newborn so I work where I can with my lack of a college degree. I bust my ass off with a job I hate, not because I choose to, but because I have to, to ensure that my son is taken care of.

It's very arrogant to say that we all choose where we work. Because so many people choose to work at a Ihop or Denny's. I mean I can totally see people lining up in groves to work for disrespectful and drunk people, who don't give a shit about you, and think that giving you money is rediculous.

Wrong again.

not eveyone has the luxury,.

Uhm, is it? I know you're not knocking servers, I just largely disagree with you

There will always be a job where you work as hard and don't make the same amount of money. I already said that. What I don't understand is how people don't think they should be paid. And don't forget, a lot of retail places pay commission.

Life is full of choices--and they lead you to wherever you may be. No, I am not niave, I just made other choices. I chose to work myself out of the service industry because it is a hard, and crappy job.

Quote:
I say this with everything-if you don't like a TV show, change the channel--if you don't like a movie, don't watch it...if you don't like the food somewhere, don't eat it. If you don't like cigarette smoke, don't go to bar.
not eveyone has the luxury,.
Yeah they do. If you live in The States, yeah, you do. If you made life choices that limit yourself, then that's not society's fault.

Quote:
The point I'm making is, it is your choice to work in your field. It is not my fault that restaurant owners in the US are too damn cheap to pay you a decent wage---so they literally pawn it off on the customer. You choose to "literally wait on you hand and foot." If you aren't satisfied with it, move on to something else.
Wrong again.
Really? So it is my fault that restaurant owners are cheap? Your life choices led you there. Deal with the circumstances or move on.

Quote:
Once again, I preface by saying I consider myself a decent tipper...however, it is the profession you chose, correct? I mean, I work in pharmaceuticals...and I deal with crappy patients all day long, and I've been through tons and tons of training. When a new drug comes out (which tends to be weekly) I have to test on it.
No actually not correct. It is not always a persons choice to work in a certain field. No offense, but that's a very naive thing to say. I have a newborn so I work where I can with my lack of a college degree. I bust my ass off with a job I hate, not because I choose to, but because I have to, to ensure that my son is taken care of.

It's very arrogant to say that we all choose where we work. Because so many people choose to work at a Ihop or Denny's. I mean I can totally see people lining up in groves to work for disrespectful and drunk people, who don't give a shit about you, and think that giving you money is rediculous.
But it's not arrogant to say that I have to pay you to do a job that your employer should pay you for? If you have a child, that was your life choice. I'm not going to throw a pity party for somone that has had a hard life. I've had a hard life and I never made excuses as to why I was stagnant in a job. I worked my butt off from being homeless and hungry to getting a degree. If I can do it, anyone can. Was it easy? HELL NO. Did you hear me complain about my crappy jobs? HELL NO. There are ways to get out of your situation--if you truly want to.

Quote:
Please don't think I'm knocking your profession. I was in the service industry for many years. The point I'm making is, it's your choice to work in the industry.
Uhm, is it? I know you're not knocking servers, I just largely disagree with you
I'm not knocking those who are good at thier job, and work thier butts off. I'm knocking those that have the audacity to tell me that I HAVE to give them money. I will gladly give it...once it is earned. If you don't do a good job, then you don't deserve the tip*. (please note, I am NOT assuming you do a bad job...I'm sure you're very good at what you do.) I don't treat service industry people like crap...I shouldn't have to pay for those that do.

Quote:
It's irritating sometimes to hear from service industry people. I don't understand the concept that someone should pay you because you chose a job that is hard. Try retail...I got paid less than what most servers get with tips, and I had to deal with the same group of people--but work just as hard.
There will always be a job where you work as hard and don't make the same amount of money. I already said that. What I don't understand is how people don't think they should be paid. And don't forget, a lot of retail places pay commission.
I completely agree with you. Some people that make 100K a year don't work nearly as hard as a server...however the vast majority of them worked their butts off to get to that point--they've paid their dues. Now, some don't always deserve it...but that is not the majority of people.

It's all about having perspective. Not everyone comes from your background, and not everyone comes from mine. Having the ability to understand the other person's viewpoints (whether you agree or not) is key to having perspective.

SIDE NOTE...I consider myself a decent tipper...is 20-25% a decent/good tip or am I off base on that?

*tip edited. used to say job.

Last edited:

SeaCucumber

Registered Member
Come to an upscale restaurant in the US and try to say that. I challenge you to get a job. I had a job at "Jack Stack BBQ," it's considered an upscale restaurant where I am, and we had a 4 page test every day for two weeks.

Plus all the classes taken as requirements for Wine, Food Safety, Customer Service, First Aid. All of which I got paid a whopping 2.15 while going through.

Tips are mandatory because these people go more out of their way and deal with all your bullshit and get paid 3 times less than the minimum wage.
I knew someone would point that out. And it's very true! You likely provide me with exceptional service! And if you do then you deserve a tip! I challenge the idea that I need to tip that bitchy girl at my favourite Fish n Chips place because people look at me funny if I don't. >.>

Seacucumber you come out all brash and boastful but how many jobs have you had? SuiGeneris hits the nail on the head!
Been working since the age of 16. I was a temp at one point for about 9 months so I actually have no clue how many different jobs I've had. But it is quite a lot. I've worked in every warehouse in my area pretty much, I've repaired Sony televisions, I've sold wine kits, I've made tomato containers, I've packaged porch lights, I've delivered papers, I've been a cashier and a dish washer and I am now in school to become an electrician. After all that work to pay for this school. Did I get tipped along the way? Nope.

Since when do newspaper delivery people get tipped? Hell here they just throw the damned paper out the car window.
Since you're a 16 year old boy on a bicycle :p I delivered 200 newspapers three days a week for quite a long time.

And since the news had an etiquette lady on a week ago who was discussing tipping and the newspaper boy is apparently supposed to be left nice little cash bonuses near holidays. None for me D: Lots for my friends >.>

Everyone chooses to work. You are willingly there after all. Some homeless people wish they worked at that Ihop actually. Believe it or not there aren't always as many jobs as there are people.

Given how much you resent your employer and the people you serve I don't know if you are a good server :S

Assuming you did an exceptional job I would though.

You have a newborn baby and lack a college education and are in hard times right now. That doesn't mean I need to give you extra money for doing your job :S It's not that I don't sympathize with you, because I really do. But I don't know which server has a newborn baby and which one doesn't. So rather than tip them all, I tip the ones who I think do their job better than average.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
As a waitress, I find it very offensive if someone leaves without tipping. As long as I provide good service, then tipping should be expected.

Waitressing does not pay very well by the hour, I make as much from tips on a typical night as I do being paid, sometimes more.

It is not a question of a "choice" to be in service work as I have read, maybe in the US people have a choice, maybe you can go from senior in high school to being a great doctor over night, but in some places being a waitress is one of the better jobs for a young woman, sometimes it is the only, or best choice for older women.

From reading above some of the replies, I personally find some of them offensive and naive. Tip your waitress's, they work as hard as you do to survive.

Bosox04

Registered Member
As a waitress, I find it very offensive if someone leaves without tipping. As long as I provide good service, then tipping should be expected.

Waitressing does not pay very well by the hour, I make as much from tips on a typical night as I do being paid, sometimes more.

It is not a question of a "choice" to be in service work as I have read, maybe in the US people have a choice, maybe you can go from senior in high school to being a great doctor over night, but in some places being a waitress is one of the better jobs for a young woman, sometimes it is the only, or best choice for older women.

From reading above some of the replies, I personally find some of them offensive and naive. Tip your waitress's, they work as hard as you do to survive.
I completely agree with you...sans it being offensive. I prefaced by saying I was speaking about the US.

I agree...if someone receives adequate service, they should receive some sort of tip. My argument was that I don't appreciate being forced to tip someone that gives sub par or terrible service...and point out that restaurant owners are cheap bastards for paying servers $2.15 per hour and expecting the patrons to pay for a server's salary.

Real quick side note on the newspaper comment...not sure who was the first person to say it (I'd look back, but I'm on my mobile and it would take too long)...but typically, the newspapers are dropped off by the newspaper company to the delivery drivers in bulk. The drivers have to separate the different stacks and put them together. Depending on how good of a job they do is why some people tip them.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I kind of agree with the notion that you should earn your tips. I shouldn't be required to dish out extra money to someone who sucks at their job.

If you're good then you'll be rewarded for it by me, every single time.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
On one hand, I kind of agree that the idea of "mandatory" tipping is kinda retarded. The restaurants should have to actually pay their employers so they don't have to live off tips.

On the other hand, I almost always tip (except in cases of terrible service) because being a server does suck a big one. I also tip because, to quote Ryan Reynolds from 'Waiting,' "You never fuck with the people that handle your food"

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I would've thought a thread would've been made about this before. But I will trust Google....don't let me down Google!!!
Use the GF search button :lol:. There was thread about tipping recently but it focused more on how much we tip.

I was at a birthday dinner at a Greek restaurant last Friday and while I normally don't tip, I was completely peer pressured into tipping merely because it is "what you do"

I don't subscribe to that camp of thought whatsoever :S I find if the service is exceptional then a tip is earned. But I will not tip just because society tells me to tip. I worked at a Fish N Chips place a couple of years ago during the summer and washed dishes. Did anyone tip me? No. Was I an integral part of their service? I most definitely was.

I tipped this woman named "Flora" who came around to our table occasionally and supplied us with a couple of seconds of conversation that usually led to us having to compliment the food she apparently "came up with" to get her to leave. I found it annoying and yet because we all left at the same time, even though we were all paying separate I was practically having money pulled out of my wallet and put into this womans hands.

What do you think of so called mandatory tips? Where society says you have to tip or you are "cheap"? What motivates you to tip?

Edit: I felt like I was in the movie Reservoir Dogs! Lol

We don't have the tipping culture here as it is in the US. People would leave tip sometimes (like in sit-down restos) but it's like "keep the change" than "this is really for your service". In the US, I feel like it's a requirement. Restaurant receipts have spaces for "tips" on the paper that you sign. Every order from the bar, a tip is expected - like minimum, a dollar for a drink. Yeah, I don't miss those tips that much. I mean I don't mind tipping, but I prefer to have given a tip out of my will (and feel good and generous about it :lol: ) than feeling forced by some rule (written or not). Like, I feel automatically that I should tip when we're a certain number of people in the group - bigger group, more work for a server. But it's my personal rule, and not the restaurant's.

Anyways, so while we don't have the same tipping culture, we have a tradition of giving gifts to people who provide daily service to us (postman, building cleaners, firemen - even if we didn't have fire) and they come knocking at our door to give us "calendars" or leave notes/envelopes in our mailbox. I guess it's like accumulated tipping.

Raos

Registered Member
Seacucumber, what country are you in?

I am in the US and I hate the system we have in restaurants where the waitstaff is paid pennies and the patrons are expected to tip so that the waiters and waitresses can earn enough money to live. It is unfair tomthe waitstaff IMO. But that is the system we have so I tip and imtry to tip well. I would much rather the restaurant owners paid their staff more and roll that cost into how much my dinner costs, but since they do not I am not going to take it out on the staff. The custom in the US is to tip (20% being the norm) and my feeling is that if you are not willing to factor that into the amount you are paying when you go out then you should not go out.

To the person that seems to think that everyone is there by choice, sorry, but you are dead wrong. Just because you were able to work yourself into a better position does not mean everyone can and it is quite ignorant to think otherwise. People all have different situations, backgrounds, education levels, intelligence levels, abilities, etc.

SeaCucumber

Registered Member
Seacucumber, what country are you in?

I am in the US and I hate the system we have in restaurants where the waitstaff is paid pennies and the patrons are expected to tip so that the waiters and waitresses can earn enough money to live. It is unfair tomthe waitstaff IMO. But that is the system we have so I tip and imtry to tip well. I would much rather the restaurant owners paid their staff more and roll that cost into how much my dinner costs, but since they do not I am not going to take it out on the staff. The custom in the US is to tip (20% being the norm) and my feeling is that if you are not willing to factor that into the amount you are paying when you go out then you should not go out.

To the person that seems to think that everyone is there by choice, sorry, but you are dead wrong. Just because you were able to work yourself into a better position does not mean everyone can and it is quite ignorant to think otherwise. People all have different situations, backgrounds, education levels, intelligence levels, abilities, etc.
I live in Canada, so it is pretty similar when it comes to tipping.

And you and others have made a lot of sense. I think I shall change my ways to the tipper who holds back a tip if something is actually done poorly rather than only tipping when something is done exceptionally :)

But I stand by the fact that all those bad backgrounds/situations are to be overcome. That's why you work and you work hard. And if you wanted to overcome the bad times you are in you should work damn hard and give me the best service around because I do control your tip. Rather than holding on to the idea that everyone you serve and your employer are drunk asses.

You work to pay for the upgrading courses from high school so you can go to college. That job isn't the bad situation, that job is the key to getting out of the bad situation. Maybe that's just a glass half full thing..

Bosox04

Registered Member
If someone can wait tables, they are smart enough to work in many other jobs--so you can't say that backgrounds and education levels, etc are blockers. In other situations, maybe...but we're not talking about other situations...we're talking about this one. I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who refuses to help themselves. Most people put themselves in sitautions. If you have a job, you can work hard to move up...or get a better job. People who don't try and would rather complain deserve to be where they are at.

All of that being said, I agree that if you can't afford to tip, don't go somewhere that you are expected to tip. On that same note, if you are a terrible server with a bad attitude, don't expect a good tip (if one at all).

Last edited: