• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mandatory church attendance

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
But the Republican detailed a solution that she believed would keep people feeling safe without the need to carry a gun. No matter how much it would violate the Constitution seperation of church and state, Allen said she wanted a law requiring citizens to go to church.
Arizona lawmaker wants church attendance to be mandatory

This was just a flip remark by her, I hope, but I can't believe she is even thinking this and doesn't care if it violates the constitution. If it became mandatory, which I don't think would have a snowballs chance in hell of happening, I don't think churches would be too happy with the outcome. I could see people attending while hung over and wearing who knows what. You would have a mess because people would be upset with being forced to be there.

What do you think about mandatory church attendance?

Stego

Registered Member
There are moments like these where I am perfectly content with the idea of some states seceding--sincerely, not flippantly. I don't want to eradicate her beliefs but I can't reason with that kind of thing. She can believe in whatever she wants that doesn't hurt me or others unjustly, but I'll be choosing to live in the America that has the separation of church and state. I've run enough classrooms to know that some kids...you just don't sit together.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If church were mandatory I can see someone telling the preacher he is telling fairy tales. Then let the fight begin.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against religion but I don't see this going well. I also doubt a lot of religious people would be for this.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
State and religion should be kept well and truly separate.
I would say it's values not religion that society needs. Teaching and promoting kindness, courtesy, respect for other people and their property, non-violence etc. Give all people, especially when young, a grounding in such values and you'd end up with a much better, fairer and more just society.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Actually this is what bothers me:

"Because a religious bill was not on the plate, Allen voted in favor of gun owners to broaden Second Amendment rights."

Bills don't broaden Second Amendment rights, the right is ALREADY broad by virtue of the Second Amendment. Bills restrict Second Amendment rights.

As to what she said, it would never fly anyway, it's clear violation of the Establishment Clause. Nothing to see here.

dDave

V.I.P.
I agree CO. The second amendment is quite broad and yet so clear, we don't need bills to "broaden" the rights.

Mandatory church attendance? I don't imagine that would fly in any of our 50 states.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I can't imagine too many Christians would even approve of what is basically forcing people to adhere to their religion, even if it wasn't a blatant violation of the Constitution, much less non-Christians. There are crazy people like that out there, however. This woman is proof of that.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The problems we have in this country right now come from politicians just like her yet we keep voting for them.

In defense of those that have voted for idiots sometimes you have no idea about what they are really like until they are in office.

There's no way forcing people to attend church would go over well with most. However there are some out there that would probably thinks its a great idea. Some that haven't thought it through.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
What would really make citizens feel safer without the need to carry a gun would be a law that says any politician suggesting something in stark contrast to basic human rights or the constitution should be promptly fired. I think this would go much further than mandatory church attendance in making people feel safer. Don't you?

- Cham