• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Manchester United - news topic

Ivan

Registered Member
Manchester United Football Club is an English professional football club, based in Old Trafford that plays in the Premier League. Founded as Newton Heath LYR Football Club in 1878, the club changed its name to Manchester United in 1902 and moved to Old Trafford in 1910.

In 1968, under the management of Matt Busby, Manchester United was the first English football club to win the European Cup, ten years after the Munich air disaster that claimed the lives of eight players. The current manager, Alex Ferguson, is the most successful manager in the club's history, having won 26 major honours since he took over in November 1986.

Having won 18 league titles, four League Cups and a record 11 FA Cups, Manchester United is the most successful club in the history of English football. The club has also won three European Cups and is unique in having won a Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League Treble, in the 1998–99 season.

Manchester United squad

Goalkeepers:

E. Van Der Sar
T. Kuszczak
A. Lindegaard

Defenders:

P. Evra
R. Ferdinand
N. Vidić
Fabio
Rafael
W. Brown
J. O'Shea
J. Evans
C. Smalling
(O. Gill)

Midfielders :

Anderson
R. Giggs
Ji-Sung Park
M. Carrick
Nani
P. Scholes
D. Fletcher
A. Valencia
D. Gibson
O. Hargreaves
(R. Brady)
(R. Morrison)
(P. Pogba)
(R. Tunnicliffe)

Attackers:

W. Rooney
J. Hernandez
D. Berbatov
M. Owen
G. Obertan
(Bebe)
(J. King)

Manager : Sir Alex Ferguson
Assistant manager : Mike Phelan

I'm a big fan of Manchester United, so I started this thread where we can talk about United history, news, matches, transfers, and all around the club. :)

Yesterday they beat Everton 1-0 at Old Trafford (Hernandez scored in 84') and now they have a 6 points lead. Chelsea beat West Ham 3-0. Arsenal lost against Bolton 2-1 :D :D

1. Manchester United 73 points
2. Chelsea 67 points
3. Arsenal 64 points

This is important year for United because if they won the Premier league that will be their 19th title and they will become the most successful English club (Liverpool have 18 titles earned in the whole history of a club)

Tuesday is also an important day because of a first match against Schalke in Champions League semi-finals. I hope they would knock the German team out in a two matches.

Last edited:

Ivan

Registered Member
Champions league semi-finals first leg

Schalke - Manchester United 0:2
67' Giggs
69' Rooney

It was a great game for United, they had so much great chances for goal and they controlled the game but managed to score only 2 because of a great Schalke goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.
United has a big chance to play in the final on the Wembley this year, they have great result and now they just need to confirm that on Old Trafford in second leg. I'm so happy because of it :) Go United go :D

Sunday game against Arsenal on Emirates stadium is really important for Premier league title and they need to concentrate on that match now. :)

Last edited:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
That was the best I have ever seen us play and it was amazing. The score could have easily been 6-0 if it was not for Neuer. He is such a great goal keeper. As for the Premier League, need 7 points from 3 games to win the title.

Ivan

Registered Member
Yes, I agree, United was really dominant through the whole game, Neuer was Schalke's savior. Schalke could easily experience a catastrophe but they lost only 2-0, they had luck and a great goalkeeper hehe.

In Premier league, United needs 7 points from 4, not 3 games, there are four games until the end... they have to play against Arsenal, Chelsea, Blackburn and Blackpool... so, 12 points is maximum they can get, but they need only 7 to secure 19th title.

I hope they will win Chelsea at Old Trafford and solve all the problems two rounds before the end.

Last edited:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Yes, I agree, United was really dominant through the whole game, Neuer was Schalke's savior. Schalke could easily experience a catastrophe but they lost only 2-0, they had luck and a great goalkeeper hehe.

In Premier league, United needs 7 points from 4, not 3 games, there are four games until the end... they have to play against Arsenal, Chelsea, Blackburn and Blackpool... so, 12 points is maximum they can get, but they need only 7 to secure 19th title.

I hope they will win Chelsea at Old Trafford and solve all the problems two rounds before the end.
Indeed, four games. Knew I was wrong.

I doubt it will be easy last two rounds. It happens every year, we always have to fight hard for it.

Ivan

Registered Member
Well, it will be very hard against Arsenal and Chelsea, but if we don't lose any of those two matches we would have nice and safe lead and the last two rounds wouldn't be so important and dramatic then. But we will see how the next two league games will end up. :) If they don't end up too good for United then United will have to win the last two games, and that is also an option, but much more dramatic and stressful option :D But, it's important to win title, it's not important how hehe

We will see... the end of season is always very interesting :)

Last edited:

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
It's certainly not over yet, as many people already seem to think.

We're more than capable of losing to both Arsenal and Chelsea, plus we have an away trip to Blackburn, a game that's always proven to be tough in previous seasons, then Blackpool at home, a team who's survival could well be dependent upon.

So not a forgone conclusion just yet.

That said, I'm confident we can finish the job against Schalke at home, it would be fantastic to make the Wembley final, the ground we won the competition on in 1968. Plus it would be our third Champions League final appearance in 4 seasons.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
A lot has happened since this thread was last posted in, we won the League, lost Champions League, signed great players and having a great start to the new season.

rohanthukral

A lot has happened since this thread was last posted in, we won the League, lost Champions League, signed great players and having a great start to the new season.
Dont Forget Lost 3 Legends in Van der Sar, Neville and Scholsey :'(

Out of the Champions League and 5 points behind Man Shitty.

Park , Fletcher, Evans, Evra, Berbatov, Ferdinand, Rooney (Hate to say it) have been performing far bellow par.

We need to step up our performance and bring in Pogba and Morrison into the first team.

I dont have to stress on how important it is for us to buy 2 world class players. 1 a playmaker and another ball winning midfielder - someone like Hargreaves, De Jong, Busquets, Parker.

In Sir Alex we believe .

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Your comment regarding Park is a bit harsh because I think he has been performing really well in all games that he has started for Manchester United this season, his work rate has improved so much and he is much more stronger on the ball than I can remember for a long time, his tackling however, has been below par.

Why would you want Hargreaves back when we just let him go to Shitty? And De Jong is shit, I don't know what's the big deal about this guy. For us to have a magnificent playmaker, we need to pull all strings and land Wesley Sneijder no matter the cost because truth be told, we need him. Our midfield since the departure of Scholes has been so weak and for god's sake, they've started playing Rooney and Jones in the midfield.

Disagree with Evans and Evra, both have been putting in their fair share and I am content with their performances so far. Pogba has impressed me in reserve fixtures that I have seen, looking to be a star actually. Cleverly needs to come back to fill the gap in the midfield as well.

Unfortunately, Vidic is out for four months :(