• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

managed dedicated hosting

clasione

So does everyone manage their own servers or do you guys have managed dedicated hosting?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I went with Rackspace for the longest time. They are by far the best when it comes to manged servers that I have dealt with, however I ended up learning the basic in's and out's over time and found myself taking advantage of their customer service less and less. Suddenly the $500 a month didn't sound as good... (It was always higher than I needed), but currently I manage my own servers.

member357

Yes, same here....

I used to use managed as well, but now with all that I learned, including the ssh that I recently studied and learned,

I am now good to go.

And like Andrew said, once you can do it yourself, that nasty extra 200 bux or more a month feel good any more.

I would rather have the extra money to buy more domains.....mmmmmm...domains

Albey

Registered Member
I ended up getting a vps untill my oc192 line gets here to my store.. its about 80.00 a month. Any one need hosting?

Albey

Registered Member
No i have a cell phone/surveillance store also. If any one needs some cell accessories just give me a call.. 1-800-699-CELL

leopard22

Registered Member
Ah, the memories. The very first gig I did online in my current business was to put together an article on hosting for someone. At the time, I knew basically nothing about it, but I sure found out quick. The article wound up in a magazine even, but without my name on it :) which was fine with me.

Anyway, this guy had a business where you could enter a bunch of info into his database and it would spit out three hosting companies/packages that would work best for your needs. It was totally legit (not just the same old 5 companies always coming up) and non-biased and he wound up selling the business for a ton of bucks to a prominent company (which I can't name). Funny thing was, he always said he'd never use a hosting company himself after his first disasterous few months online. Kind of ironic, but that's business!

I was with Bluehost for awhile (don't really know why I picked them) but then I decided not to have a site for awhile, just a blog, so don't need hosting anymore. I think though, based on what I know and what you guys have all said, that if I venture online again, I'll get my own server. It doesn't sound like rocket science to manage your own stuff and sure would save headaches all around.

skameron

I was a service delivery manager and project manager for a very large company that did server hosting. I don't think everyone needs the services a fully managed dedicated hosting facility can provide, in fact I think the economies of scale there can even hurt the little guy. However, most of the lessons learned and infrastructure architecture there can benefit about everyone. Hosting a site is expensive and complicated as a start up. Especially when you consider licensing, security, ISP, redundancy, performance and capacity, the "unexpected" and disaster recovery. There are some great places out there to host your site for a relatively small amount of money. Before you go into the "hosting" business yourself, I'd be careful to think of the entire scope of your project; managed dedicated hosting is often the way to go.

Best,

Scott Kameron