• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Man wearing bullet-proof vest says shoot me

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
HONEA PATH, S.C. —A 25-year-old man who put on a bullet proof vest and asked to be shot was killed Wednesday morning, according to the coroner, and an 18-year-old girl is charged in the death.

Coroner: Man wearing bullet-proof vest says, 'Shoot me,' is killed | Local News - WYFF Home
I don't know who is the dumbest here, the man that asked to be shot or the girl that shot him.

She missed the vest and hit him in the chest which killed him now she could serve 5 years in prison.

I feel for him and his family but I also feel for the girl, this will ruin her life.

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
My thoughts are she is an idiot. She can't argue consent because you can't consent to an illegal act. I'm not sure they can prosecute her for murder because she didn't intend to kill him, although they could possibly go the felony murder rule route depending on the law in her jurisdiction.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Personally I think she deserves a damn good slap across the face. She may not have meant to kill him but how dumb have you got to to be to do this? If someone gives you a gun and says "shoot me" you don't do it, not because there is a certain level of risk involved (though that is the main reason) but because, well, you don't shoot people! It's kind of a no brainer.

Do I think she deserves to be in jail for involuntary manslaughter? Honestly no.

Do I think she should be provided with some kind of mental help as to why she did this to begin with when it is such a moronic thing to do? Honestly yes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
She was an idiot for doing this and he was a idiot for asking her to do it. However like CO said you can't consent to something illegal.

I imagine she is suffering now with the knowledge she killed someone and that will haunt her for he rest of her life along with a felony on her record. She won't be owning a gun, well at least not legally.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know who is the dumbest here, the man that asked to be shot or the girl that shot him.
That just about sums it up. I don't know what else to say. I agree with Sunrise though. I would rather see her get mental help than get sent to prison. Prison isn't going to do her any good.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm reminded of this early 20th century photo.

^Yes, that's real.

Both of these people are ridiculously stupid. You should never, ever, intend to be shot. Bullet proof vests are a preventative measure, they are not a true bullet proof device.

Even if the vest had blocked the shot you have to consider that he would have probably broken a couple ribs anyway.

So stupid.

I think the girl should be charged with manslaughter but not murder. Consent or not, it was dumb and common sense tells you it's dumb.

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Didn't Jonny Knoxville or Jackass do the same thing and it did a lot of damage? It may be a little away from topic but I have also heard that being shoot dead on (whilst something you obviously want to avoid) can be less life threatening. From what I can gather the reason for this is that the BPV does not stop the bullet in a nice neat package but disperses it and can cause a lot of damage to internal organs as you say because it is slowed down so quickly on entering the vest, the idea that someone can be shot wearing a BPF and stand right up apparently is just not feasible. Where as with a bullet because it is a quick thing travelling at a very high velocity it at least goes through at a very quick rate - but as I say, I could be wrong, please do not quote me on it.

dDave

V.I.P.
Didn't Jonny Knoxville or Jackass do the same thing and it did a lot of damage? It may be a little away from topic but I have also heard that being shoot dead on (whilst something you obviously want to avoid) can be less life threatening. From what I can gather the reason for this is that the BPV does not stop the bullet in a nice neat package but disperses it and can cause a lot of damage to internal organs as you say because it is slowed down so quickly on entering the vest, the idea that someone can be shot wearing a BPF and stand right up apparently is just not feasible. Where as with a bullet because it is a quick thing travelling at a very high velocity it at least goes through at a very quick rate - but as I say, I could be wrong, please do not quote me on it.
Yeah. Even if you're wearing heavy body armor (aka Kevlar and the likes of that) you'd still take a hard hit from being shot regardless of whether or not the bullet pierced all the way through the vest.

A bullet proof vest stops a bullet entirely in a fraction of a second. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that thing is traveling quickly and though it's small it still has a ton of force behind it.

Some people can stand right up after being shot in the vest. They're usually really big and strong guys. Your build can have a lot to do with how well you can take a bullet to the vest.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
That makes a lot of sense yeah. I don't have a lot of upper body strength so would probably be less able to take it that someone who can. One thing I do remember hearing was a friend who worked in a secure women's hospital was given a stab proof vest, when speaking with another guard who wasn't wearing it he asked why to which he responded "I could still be stabbed in the balls or the neck even if I had the vest", he kind of had a point there...