• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Man Robs Bank $1 for Health Care/Shelter in Jail

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
N.C. Man Allegedly Robs Bank of $1 to Get Health Care in Jail - ABC News

Verone said he asked for $1 to show that his motives were medical, not monetary, according to news reports. With a growth in his chest, two ruptured disks and no job, Verone hoped a three-year stint in prison would afford him the health care he needed.
"Manipulation" of the system is what the doctor accused him of (saw that part on TV just now).

Thoughts?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
If those were his motives, it comes down to two things:

1. It speaks to the ridiculous state of healthcare in the U.S. and that changes are necessary. I can't wait until some of the "Obamacare" provisions start kicking in.

2. Still, it's wrong to do something like this no matter what. If I were in the same situation I wouldn't rob a bank. Still, if we had single payer in place this wouldn't have happened in the first place, if the man's statements are true about his intentions.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Sure did, and I'd love to know which of the 19 eligibility categories you think he fits into.
I don't know, I'm not a bureaucrat or social worker. But qualifying individual or specified low income might be a good place to start.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I don't know, I'm not a bureaucrat or social worker. But qualifying individual or specified low income might be a good place to start.
So, you posted an official-sounding link to make your case that he was eligible, when you hadn't even looked at the data you were linking to. That's called a bluff. Score one for the truth.

But hey, I'll inform you. I'm a patient man (and apparently a natural-born bureaucrat and/or social worker, because I can understand the data you posted). Right in the middle of the page you linked to, there are four categories for eligibility:

He is none of those things.

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
So, you posted an official-sounding link to make your case that he was eligible, when you hadn't even looked at the data you were linking to. That's called a bluff. Score one for the truth.

But hey, I'll inform you. I'm a patient man (and apparently a natural-born bureaucrat and/or social worker, because I can understand the data you posted). Right in the middle of the page you linked to, there are four categories for eligibility:

He is none of those things.
Then it is quite obvious that you didn't look at the PDF linked at the bottom of the page before jumping to conclusions.

Here, I'll make it easy for you:
http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dma/medicaid/basicmedelig.pdf

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Last edited: