• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Man kills wife, 5 kids and commits suicide over job problems

BigBob

Registered Member
A father apparently distraught over job problems shot and killed his wife and five young children and then committed suicide at their home Tuesday, police said. The victims included two sets of twins.
The bodies were found when police responded to a report of a shooting in progress in the Wilmington area shortly before 8:30 a.m., Officer Sam Park said. The bodies were found throughout the McFarland Avenue house.
The victims were not immediately identified.
Deputy Chief Kenneth Garner said the man killed his wife, an 8-year-old girl, twin 5-year-old daughters and twin 2-year-old sons. He then killed himself.
"He was despondent, clearly, over his job situation," Garner said.
Either before or after killing his family, the man sent a two-page typewritten letter to KABC-TV, Garner said. The Burbank-based television station called police in that suburb, Garner said.
"Obviously he wanted somebody to find the bodies," Garner said.
Garner said he didn't exactly know the man's job situation, but "it wasn't going well at work."
"In the note, he clearly said he was going to kill himself, his wife and his kids," Garner said.
Wilmington, about 18 miles south of downtown, is a 10-square-mile community adjacent to the Port of Los Angeles.
FOXNews.com - Man Shoots Wife, 5 Kids, Self in California Home - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's stories like this that make me wish it was possible to bring these people back from the dead and torture them for centuries.

As much as I think suicide is never the answer, IF you are going to kill yourself, kill YOURSELF. You are just as dead regardless of whether or not you took anybody out with you. What a selfish and downright evil thing to do. :shake:

snowflake

Registered Member
Why take the lives of innocent children, 8,5 and 2 years olds who cannot defend themselves. What a coward :mad::mad:

BigBob

Registered Member
It's stories like this that make me wish it was possible to bring these people back from the dead and torture them for centuries.

As much as I think suicide is never the answer, IF you are going to kill yourself, kill YOURSELF. You are just as dead regardless of whether or not you took anybody out with you. What a selfish and downright evil thing to do. :shake:

Exactly what my mom just said. Kill yourself, no one else. It doesn't make any sense to kill your entire family.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I like how everyone is instantly bashing him as if he was completely sane.

Sure, it's a terrible thing. But as the article states, he was distraught. This could have gone up to batshit insane at home. You don't go and slaughter your entire family and then top yourself if you're 100% a'ok in the head. I think it's possible the firing affected him a lot more than the article implies.

Furthermore, the article also states that it's possible that the wife was in on it, considering he sent a letter out saying they both planned it after an administrator fired them and told them to "lol, shotgun mouthwash". Then again, I refer back to batshit insane comment, but we will never know until evidence to the contrary shows up.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
On the topic of him being completely sane:
I think if there is even an inkling that someone would react to something like this, they should get help. Even if its forced. One day a guy was in love with me or thought he was and cut himself and was going to come after me that day after school because I "broke his heart" by going out with my current bf. He got caught with a knife in his bag. They took him away. He's getting serious help.

Of course, this doesn't make what he did right. It just means that sometimes, people's imbalances cause them to do stupid and harmful stuff. Unfortunately in this case, it harmed some very innocent people.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
People getting (temporarily) insane over job issues is not that rare except that we don't hear much of it unless they kill themselves or other people. I've met a couple who even suffered manic depressions over it (one killed himself). But why wait until they do that, right? These things don't often happen in a snap. It's a gradual process but if no one pays attention (or is sensitive) to it , it can go out of hand. Some companies invest on making sure this doesn't happen (I've worked with one) but one can't expect all businesses to have the same thing especially now. When finances are tough, all projects/decisions are geared towards making direct profit, not employee well being (however they indirectly help to achieve that profit).

This is a sad story and I agree with Stab that there could be more of these in the news as more people lose job security or face increased job pressures given a troubled economy.