Man jailed for being sick

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

So I think this is kind of looney. The guy needs to wear a mask, it's that simple. He has a deadly affliction and is refusing to protect those around him. Civil liberties are not at stake here, lives are. If he's going to decide to endanger those around him, then he deserves isolation. Is it really that big a deal to wear a mask? Indeed it may suck and it may be uncomfortable, but you're also a hazard to the public.

What do you think?

EDIT: Whoops, knew I forgot something

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=3006303&page=1

2. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

I suppose the question now is .. if he consents to wear a mask will be allowed to walk ?

Are we willing to accept the imprisoning of citizens without trial ?

btw: can you cite your source ?

3. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

If I were his wife, I would force that man to put that mask on. I mean who can be so stubborn as to have to be forced down to be clean in baby wipes? If they were going to isolate him like this then atleast put him somewhere in which he can be more comfortable.

How big is the mask anyway? Is it like the ones that the doctor use? I use to loving wearing those when I was younger. Oh and what gets me is this, he refuses to get treated but did he not say that he came from Russia to America to get better treatment? How ironic indeed.

4. Icyblackflame

Icyblackflame Registered Member

Haha. I read about this yesterday and I was going to make a thread but you beat me to it..

Simply put - he needs to be jailed for this, or "confined." This has nothing to do with him - he is violating someone else's rights. It would be okay for him not to wear the mask if that wasn't the only thing stopping the disease from spreading to other people. If he's going to have little hissyfits over protecting the general public, then let him have them. Just locked away somewhere.
    -Icy

5. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

Does anybody else see some very arcane mob mentality .. kill the leper type thinking going on here ?

6. Merc

No, I see a dangerous man who is infected with a lethal and very resistant form of TB. I also see a man who is too much of an idiot to realize the health problem it represents or is simply too damned lazy to wear the thing.

7. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

This isn't an isolated incident its an isolated individual being punished for the incompetence of the local gov ..

I can see that if he would rather be inside than wear a mask he is shooting himself in the foot .. but otherwise its a crappy form of quarantine .. the illness is the threat .. not the person carrying it ..

8. Merc

What do they do then? He is a health hazard. He's refusing to keep the public safe from his own affliction.

9. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

If I was aware that someone is harmful (implying biological harm) to the public and refused to stay away from them (the public) or take precautions to keep them (the public) safe...I'd kill the bastard on the spot or detain him....it'll save more lives in the end...lessser of two evils...

10. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

So your saying that every person with a deadly disease should be killed? That right there is a bad idea in itself, plus it would get way out of hand with the public and it would break so many of the laws that it wouldn't even be funny. Now throwing him on a deserted island and dropping supplies to him every month from a plane....now that wouldn't be so bad for him, it keeps everyone happy.