Man jailed for being sick

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
April 4, 2007 — When an Arizona man with tuberculosis didn't follow his doctor's instructions to wear a mask during the summer, he was put in jail.

The action sparked a debate about balancing an individual's civil liberties with the need to maintain public safety.

Robert Daniels, the 27-year-old man infected with TB, has been held since July — not because he committed a crime, but because his condition is highly contagious.

"He chose not to wear a noncontagion mask to cover his face," said Jack MacIntyre of the Maricopa County Sheriff Office.

Daniels suffers from a rare, drug-resistant strain of the disease and refused treatment. While it's not common practice to lock patients up, in this case officials said it was necessary to keep the virulent form of TB from spreading.
Daniels' cell phone was confiscated, as is the case with other prisoners. He remains in isolation and is kept from the showers. He is reportedly forced to clean with wet wipes.

"He definitely needs to be confined. He shouldn't be free," said Art Caplan, a bioethicist at the University of Pennsylvania. "I think his liberty has to take a back seat to public health. … But jail isn't quite the right place for this guy."
TB was at an all-time low in the United States last year, but the new, drug-resistant strains of the highly contagious disease have health officials concerned.

"People with untreated TB pose a danger to anyone who shares the same air," said Dr. Richard Chaisson, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for TB Research. "With good therapy for TB, we can cure people in six months. Drug-resistant [strains are] harder to cure and can take up to two years. The new extremely resistant TB [is] extraordinarily difficult to treat and frankly we don't know how long it takes to cure."

Authorities say that's what they're dealing with in this case.

The man contracted it while living in Russia and said he initially came to the United States for better treatment. His wife and children are still there. Medical ethicists say it is a difficult balance.

"Do we need a public health system that has safe places in the community where we can send people? It's an old-fashioned idea, but it is one that maybe we have to bring back for 21st century purposes," Caplan said.

Quarantine laws vary from state to state. This year, 17 tuberculosis patients in Texas were involuntarily locked up. In California, four were detained last year. In New York City in the 1990s, TB patients were forced into isolation after an outbreak.
So I think this is kind of looney. The guy needs to wear a mask, it's that simple. He has a deadly affliction and is refusing to protect those around him. Civil liberties are not at stake here, lives are. If he's going to decide to endanger those around him, then he deserves isolation. Is it really that big a deal to wear a mask? Indeed it may suck and it may be uncomfortable, but you're also a hazard to the public.

What do you think?

EDIT: Whoops, knew I forgot something

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=3006303&page=1

I suppose the question now is .. if he consents to wear a mask will be allowed to walk ?

Are we willing to accept the imprisoning of citizens without trial ?

btw: can you cite your source ?

Kyo_Muramasa

Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n
If I were his wife, I would force that man to put that mask on. I mean who can be so stubborn as to have to be forced down to be clean in baby wipes? If they were going to isolate him like this then atleast put him somewhere in which he can be more comfortable.

How big is the mask anyway? Is it like the ones that the doctor use? I use to loving wearing those when I was younger. Oh and what gets me is this, he refuses to get treated but did he not say that he came from Russia to America to get better treatment? How ironic indeed.

Icyblackflame

Registered Member
Haha. I read about this yesterday and I was going to make a thread but you beat me to it..

Simply put - he needs to be jailed for this, or "confined." This has nothing to do with him - he is violating someone else's rights. It would be okay for him not to wear the mask if that wasn't the only thing stopping the disease from spreading to other people. If he's going to have little hissyfits over protecting the general public, then let him have them. Just locked away somewhere.
-Icy

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
No, I see a dangerous man who is infected with a lethal and very resistant form of TB. I also see a man who is too much of an idiot to realize the health problem it represents or is simply too damned lazy to wear the thing.

This isn't an isolated incident its an isolated individual being punished for the incompetence of the local gov ..

Quarantine laws vary from state to state. This year, 17 tuberculosis patients in Texas were involuntarily locked up. In California, four were detained last year. In New York City in the 1990s, TB patients were forced into isolation after an outbreak.
I can see that if he would rather be inside than wear a mask he is shooting himself in the foot .. but otherwise its a crappy form of quarantine .. the illness is the threat .. not the person carrying it ..

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
What do they do then? He is a health hazard. He's refusing to keep the public safe from his own affliction.

If I was aware that someone is harmful (implying biological harm) to the public and refused to stay away from them (the public) or take precautions to keep them (the public) safe...I'd kill the bastard on the spot or detain him....it'll save more lives in the end...lessser of two evils...

Kyo_Muramasa

Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n
If I was aware that someone is harmful (implying biological harm) to the public and refused to stay away from them (the public) or take precautions to keep them (the public) safe...I'd kill the bastard on the spot or detain him....it'll save more lives in the end...lessser of two evils...
So your saying that every person with a deadly disease should be killed? That right there is a bad idea in itself, plus it would get way out of hand with the public and it would break so many of the laws that it wouldn't even be funny. Now throwing him on a deserted island and dropping supplies to him every month from a plane....now that wouldn't be so bad for him, it keeps everyone happy.