• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Man dies while giving CPR to his wife

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I fail to see how this is funny, although I suppose there is a level of dark irony to it all. If he had just waited for the ambulance come instead of trying to do it himself then they both may have survived.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
If he had just waited for the ambulance come instead of trying to do it himself then they both may have survived.
CPR is artificial respiration, not artificial resuscitation, despite what Hollywood says. When a person's heart has stopped, doing nothing means you have maybe 7 minutes to start it again before they're gone for good. Doing chest pumps, however, means you can keep them alive, sometimes even for hours if need be. It moves air in and out, and circulates the blood. The point of CPR is to keep the person alive until the ambulance/defib arrives, not to wake them; CPR will never bring a person back unless their heart didn't actually start fibrillating in the first place.

If you ever think a person's heart has stopped, perform chest pumps, even if you don't know CPR. You won't hurt them and it might even be the difference between them living and dying.

EDIT - And for what it's worth, the man would have died either way. It's the irregularly elevated heartbeat that triggers the heart attack, and that can be caused by either physical exertion or just the stress of the situation alone.

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Except for a possible cracked rib. But then again, broken bones are preferable to death.
Correction: a probable cracked rib, or several. You will almost certainly break ribs when performing correct CPR.

Like Pretz said, everyone thinks CPR is resuscitation, but it isn't. People can be revived by CPR, but it isn't often. CPR is only EVER a delay until the paramedics or medics can arrive. You must always seek medical attention, even if the person revives straight away.

And yes, CPR is a strenuous activity. Anyone who has performed it knows this. Within a minute, you will be tired. Within two, you'll be wanting to stop. Three minutes is a lifetime when performing CPR. It's hard work.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I fail to see how this is funny, although I suppose there is a level of dark irony to it all. If he had just waited for the ambulance come instead of trying to do it himself then they both may have survived.
I gave a bit of a wry laugh myself when I read the thread title. It's not funny laugh out loud giggle. Its more of one of those funny sad wierd things. I actually think the story is touching too. The man died trying to save his wife, and so I imagine they crossed over together. Neither one of them has to try and live on without the other. Although, they weren't that old.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Except for a possible cracked rib. But then again, broken bones are preferable to death.
Correction: a probable cracked rib, or several. You will almost certainly break ribs when performing correct CPR.
Yeah, my bad; by hurt, what I meant was that a lot of times people think they'll make a heart attack worse, or cause a heart attack in the first place. But like Storm said, if someone wakes up with broken ribs, you say "Sorry about that, but I thought you were DEAD." Most people would understand, and in Canada at least, there are laws protecting people who perform first aid from people who don't understand.

Like Pretz said, everyone thinks CPR is resuscitation, but it isn't. People can be revived by CPR, but it isn't often.
Actually, my instructor posed an interesting argument; she said that all these stories of people being revived by CPR are actually stories of incorrect pulses being taken.

It makes sense when you think about it. The heart goes into fibrillation, which is caused by uncoordinated electrical pulses. The only thing that can fix an electrical pulse is an electrical pulse, nothing physical.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Yeah, my bad; by hurt, what I meant was that a lot of times people think they'll make a heart attack worse, or cause a heart attack in the first place. But like Storm said, if someone wakes up with broken ribs, you say "Sorry about that, but I thought you were DEAD." Most people would understand, and in Canada at least, there are laws protecting people who perform first aid from people who don't understand.
Aye, there wouldn't really be any case against someone who attempted to deliver first aid over here. Most people would prefer small injuries over death, and you have to at least try.

Actually, my instructor posed an interesting argument; she said that all these stories of people being revived by CPR are actually stories of incorrect pulses being taken.

It makes sense when you think about it. The heart goes into fibrillation, which is caused by uncoordinated electrical pulses. The only thing that can fix an electrical pulse is an electrical pulse, nothing physical.
That does make sense, but there are a lot of different irregular heart patterns. Sometimes defibrillation can't actuallly be performed because of the irregular pattern. Automatic defib units will sometimes even refuse to deliver the shock.

However, defibrillation units don't actually juice a fibrillating heart into a regular pattern (cardiac arrest notwithstanding). What they actually do is temporarily stop the heart with an electric pulse, so all the fibrillating muscles stop at the same time - allowing all the muscles to restart at the same time, in a more regular pattern. So theoretically a fibrillating heart could regain a stable rhythm...as doubtful as it may be.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Oh so they both died. It's probably hard for wife to live with the idea anyway that her husband could have died trying to save her (sweet for some maybe but she'll just feel guilt together with the pain of having lost a spouse).