• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Man Catches Fire After Applying Sunscreen

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A Massachusetts man said he suffered second-degree burns from a grill after applying sunscreen aerosol spray on parts of his body.

Massachusetts Man Catches Fire After Applying Sunscreen
He didn't apply this sunscreen by the grill, he put it on then walked over to it. Looks like you should wait a couple of minutes before even getting near a fire. I use the lotion myself, looks like it might be safer. I'm glad he wasn't killed.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
He's not suing and just went forward to as a public service announcement. I hope the company still tries to compensate him or something - it seems it could have been a legitimate lawsuit. I wonder if all sunscreens have that warning.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not sure but I think it might just be the aerosol type. I use the lotion and it doesn't say anything about it being flammable on it.

I think its amazing he hasn't sued. I also hope the company offers to pay his medical bills.

Falconer

Registered Member
Wow, that's nuts. I knew that aerosols were flammable in the general sense but I never would have thought sunscreen, of all things. Just goes to show you should be careful!

I agree with you that the company should step up and help him out, though. But on the flip side, good on him for coming out with this just for the sake of protecting someone else. It could have been a massive lawsuit and I respect him for just standing up and saying "Yeah, I just want to save someone else from going through this."

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I think the company owes him a favour because he decided not to sue them and I think if he did, he would've won big cash because if it did not say on the aerosol can that it's highly flammable whether on the body or not. They owed him a duty of care and they did not deliver, but what if this is just a freak accident, you know?

They could at least offer to pay him medical bills.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's pretty scary, I've never thought of sunscreen as a highly flammable product before, but I guess it makes sense. Poor guys just trying to protect himself from sunburn and he end up catching on fire! Kind of ironic, but horrific at the same time.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Very few lawsuits are slam dunks and this one, if ever filed, is hardly one. It's general common knowledge that aerosol cans are flammable and thus the defense would be contributory negligence. He may win if he sues, he may not. Either way if the company offers to pay for any medical bills, they are going to require a release for any further liability.