• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Man burns Quran, gets prosecuted in Denmark

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The 42-year-old man from Jutland uploaded video footage of a Quran being lit on fire, which he posted to a Facebook group called ‘Yes to freedom – no to Islam’ in December last year.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/02/24/man-set-fire-quran-charged-blasphemy/

Mr. Paludan also noted that in 1997, a Danish artist burned a copy of the Bible on a news show by a state broadcaster but was not charged. “Considering that it is legal to burn a Bible in Denmark, I’m surprised then that it would be guilty to burn the Quran,” he said in a phone interview.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/world/europe/denmark-quran-burning.html

Shouldn't be prosecuting someone for burning a book that belongs to them. I don't care if its is a religious book or how offended some might be.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's important to remember that these are charges and not a conviction. This case will more than likely result in an acquittal as the law is considered archaic and the Danish are known for their strong free speech protections. It's highly doubtful they'll uphold a law that hasn't had a conviction since 1946 or charge since the 70's. There are two cases that show it is unlikely to be convicted: a man was never charged for publicly burning bible(s) and, in the last case, people were acquitted after releasing a song mocking Christianity with seemingly blasphemous overtones.

IMO, it is free speech to burn a religious text and the right of the owner of the book.

Impaired

Registered Member
I sort of thought blasphemy was between you and your god.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It should be between you and God but in some places any perceived blasphemy can get you killed.