Man arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Wade8813, May 3, 2010.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin - Telegraph

I find this rather disturbing. I've heard about this happening in Canada, and now the UK - and some people feel the proposed to the US's ENDA law might easily lead to the same thing.

2. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

Pure bullshit. Clear violation of people's rights, despite its controversial stance. This law is also impossible to get passed in the US. We have this thing called the First Ammendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As long as the man was not being violent or encouraging violence, their is no reason he should be jailed. of course, hes in Britain, so I have no clue how fucked up they are.

3. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

Yeah I have no clue about how the laws work in England but I know for a fact that he wouldn't have gotten arrested unless a riot or something to that effect.

4. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

He’s a douche-bag, but he should not have been arrested for this. Just so we are on the same page, in the US the "clear and present danger clause" is the only thing that supersedes the first amendment. But aside, I personally feel they should take a look at revamping that Public Order Act and its proper enforcement.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
    idisrsly likes this.
  5. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I like that Americans (yes, i'm generalising) always preach about their amendments in regards to something that happened overseas, where American rights/laws aren't applicable.

Also, in this case. Sure, you could never make a law in America that prevents someone saying what is on their mind, even if it is homophobic. But it's okay to have a law against gay marriage. So you don't want to control what people say, but you want to control how they feel. Gotta love the logic there.

Anyway, i'm kinda off topic. I think it is a little extreme he was arrested for preaching a certain section of his religion, but I think the law itself is a good idea for more extreme cases. How you'd draw the line on what is an extreme case, and what is petty I don't know.

Bananas and idisrsly like this.
  6. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

England has a history of burning people for preaching the gospel, so I'm not really surprised.

7. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

OH NOES SEVEN HOURS IN PRISON SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN!! :melodramatic:

:rolleyes:

Sounds good to me. The douchebag shouldn't have been spreading hatred to begin with.

Altanzitarron likes this.
  8. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I have to agree with Impact on this. American law is not world law. In fact, I think the First Amendment is very specific to America, but I could be wrong. In the same breath I will add that I am not an expert in British law either.

So keeping any laws out of this, I will side with Chaos! The guy was a bit of a jerk poking his nose where it does not belong. No one asked him for his opinion, so there was no need to publicly voice his views/beliefs. It's one thing to come up for your beliefs when asked, but why the need to go parading in the streets looking for confrontation? :shake:

9. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I have to side with the police on this occasion. Not only did the member of the public who made the complaint think it was a public order offence, so did the PCSO, so did the police who arrested him, so did the police who charged him and now we will wait and see if the courts do to. I personally hate this type of preaching, people should not have to be offended when going about their day to day business.

You mean the God fearing Christian England of old.