• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Man arrested for refusing to leave gay partner at hospital

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A gay man was arrested at a hospital in Missouri this week when he refused to leave the bedside of his partner, and now a restraining order is preventing him from any type of visitation.

Missouri man arrested at hospital for refusing to leave gay partner
I think when family members do things like this its like a slap in the face, what you want doesn't matter. Its horrible that this man can't visit his partner, they have power of attorney on each other. I bet it will hinder the man that is hospitalized recovery. Wonder if the family member cares about that.

shelgarr

Registered Member
If visiting time is over, or others are waiting to see him, or he was interfering with procedures, or disruptive to others around him, then he should have been arrested. Of course its a whole "rights" issue, and somehow that makes him exempt from acting properly or according to the rules.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Did you even read the article? It didn't say anything about "visiting time" being over, or other people "waiting to see him" (would you leave your spouse if other people were waiting to see him?). It said a family member asked him to leave. The nurse on duty did not verify that he had power of attorney, and instead the hospital security tried to remove him.

What do you mean by "it's a whole 'rights' issue"?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
To be fair the article makes it sound as if he was arrested because he is gay and he refused to leave his partners bedside. If this were a heterosexual couple, either husband and wife or boyfriend/girlfriend, the same thing could happen IF a family member complains to the nursing staff that the person must leave and is being disrputive or whatever AND the nursing staff refuses to confirm the relationship between the couple. Granted, it's harder for a gay couple to prove the existence of the relationship but really what happened here is the hospital was not diligent in confirming the relationship.

As far as the restraining order, unfortunately what he going to have to do is show the court the proof of the relationship and any judge should lift the order and allow him to visit. It's unfortunate because until then he can't visit his partner but most courts set those for hearing very quickly.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was never stated that he was being disruptive. If that was the case of course the hospital will remove them from the premises. I got the idea the family member started something and was probably the disruptive one. They insisted he leave and he wasn't going to.

shelgarr

Registered Member
the restraining order is probably because he was disruptive. Of course the article doesn't say that he was unreasonable. That's because that paper wants it to be a "gay rights" issue, rather then a hospital policy that visitors be cooperative.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
it's not a gay rights issue, it's a human rights issue. The right to be with the person you love. Why is that a problem for some people?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
It was never stated that he was being disruptive. If that was the case of course the hospital will remove them from the premises. I got the idea the family member started something and was probably the disruptive one. They insisted he leave and he wasn't going to.
I never said that it did, I qualified my statement with IF and AND. My point is we're assuming he was asked to leave simply because he is the patients gay partner, and that MAY be true, but we don't know for certain, just like we don't know if this is a human rights issue or something else.

shelgarr

Registered Member
The article doesn't say a whole lot of things. There is much to be assumed. It is going along with the trend of tolerance, and milking it for all it's worth. That is my only point....

Last edited: