Males that don't watch sports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Millz, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I am not calling anybody out on this but I was just thinking about this for some reason. Do you think its weird when you meet males who dont watch sports?

Pretty much all of my male friends watch sports so when I meet someone who doesnt I do think its kinda odd. I dont judge them for it but it does confuse me because of what im used too.

Thoughts?

2. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

Everyone is different but I have to admit, if a guy tells me he doesn't like any sport, of any kind, it would set off my weirdo meeter. If it just about being too busy that is excused of course, though that is what he have highlights for ;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Define "weirdo".

I don't watch many sports myself, but I will watch something on the odd occasion.

As for what I think of it, I don't see what's wrong.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

A buddy of mine and I were at a party once and there was a female that was there that we both knew. She introduced us to her husband then walked off to speak to someone else.

To break the ice I asked "So how about the Astros, huh?" We were in Houston and this was a few years ago when they were making a playoff run.

He said, "I don't watch sports, they're a waste of time". My buddy and I stared at each other for a sec then talked of nothing BUT sports.

So yeah, I thought it was very odd that he didn't. I didn't judge him for it, just for his condescending attitude. But found it odd nontheless.

Matriqulated likes this.
  5. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

Usually when I meet someone there are certain tells people give about themselves. That would say to me the guy is a little off the mark. Again, everyone is unique, but I would define it as someone who would probably make me feel like I would have to keep my eye out for them. You are at least willing to watch something it sounds, even though you may not have a favorite sport, or be a die hard fan.

I'm talking about someone who is speaking as if all sports are bad.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

The sports I watch occasionally:

1) WWE (if you call that a sport. Probably more so a drama if anything).
    2) Basketball playoffs and finals.

Really, there is only basketball I watch. Why? I don't know, I just find most sports utterly boring and slow. Also repetitive. If I had cable, I would love to view some extreme sports like the Red Bull International Flight, Baja races (different vehicles racing to Baja), skydiving championship and whatnot. I find those more exciting and worthwild to watch.

Now, that I think about it, I think I like the extreme sports because I'm really impatience and need instant gradificaton. In baseball you could wait hours before anybody scores while in Red Bull air races you can get butterflies in your stomach watching all the aerobatics happening.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't know a lot of people that are males that don't enjoy watching sports. All my friends like to watch and play at least one sport. But believe it or not, my dad doesn't watch sports and doesn't know anything about them. Makes you wonder how I know so much, and how I got into them.

8. Millz

Real good thoughts so far...

I dont think there's anything wrong with guys who dont watch sports either...and I guess its not weird but its just uncommon.

My dad wasnt a huge sports fan either but I just learned to like them. He watched baseball and hockey so I grew up watching those sports a little bit. He hated basketball and football so I learned to like those on my own.

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

People give me weird looks when I tell them I could care less about Football (American). It's huge over here and people can't believe it when somebody says they don't watch it. I simply don't care about it. The sport doesn't do anything for me. I will watch the Superbowl but that's it.

As for basketball, I love it. I will watch it as often as I can and enjoy going to the games when my wallet allows as well. I especially enjoy the playoffs.

I wouldn't think a guy was weird if they didn't watch any sports at all. Being a web coder myself I run into my fair share of people who do nothing but sit in front of a computer. Now that's worse than just not watching sports. If somebody has a well rounded life that doesn't involve sports then that's one thing. If the person doesn't watch sports because they are sitting in front of their PC or Xbox playing games or whatever 24/7 then suddenly it becomes awkward.

Sports are not a necessity of life. I know some people who ONLY care about sports and will do nothing besides go to work, come home and watch sports, go to sleep, get up, go to work, and repeat the cycle. That's weird to me if somebody is SO into sports like that.

10. Millz

Given my job I am almost like the person you described but I try to not be. I will watch SportCenter every night, Mike and MIke in the Morning every morning, and the Cardinals whenever they are on...which is almost every day sicne baseball plays almost every day. It gives me something to do but if its a meaningless game during the week and something better is happening I have no problem not watching the game.

Its no lie that sports take up most of my life but I dont allow them take over completely. its close though haha