• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Male or Female Singer?

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
Which do you prefer, a man or a woman singing? Or a combination?

Personally, I think they can both be good, but a majority of what I listen to has male vocalists. I think if the music is good and the voice tonality is good, it doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman singing usually.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I like both. If I want to listen to females sing, it'd probably be in a nice, pretty song. Males I listen to in most songs. For males, i'd say in any song, really. There are girly guys out there that have good singing.

D

Dunkelhell

I've only heard a few bands with female vocalists. Lacuna Coil and Sinergy being the only two that come right to mind. (Although the Grateful Dead had a female, mediocre, singer for a while and on some tapes she does a nice job adding to the music). LC and Sinergy are good bands, but I never really got into them. In Sinergy in particular, her voice was very beautiful, but thats not really what I'm looking for in a metal band, and I can't even tell you what the rest of the band was doing because I ended up paying more attention to her. So, I guess I prefer males, but I don't listen to music to hear a vocalist usually. Also, it's possible that I haven't heard enough bands with female singers (I'm not going to count Arch Enemy who has a female death vocalist).

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
The only bands I know of that have female singers are Evanescence and Flyleaf. Evanescence is ok, but i don't know about Flyleaf. I still say that females sing in a non-metal way. it just doesn't fit too well in my ears

L

lilbballfrk

both. i think they both go well togteher. they even each other out and sound great together.

B

barfootboards

i really have to say a male, only because there isnt any songs sung by a female that i can think of that i like, so that pretty much answers it for me

Malificus

Likes snow
I don't prefer either, but I tend to listen to more male sung songs, if only because I have more of those.

P

pasteycracker

Depends on the genre.

Nightwish has a pretty good sound and they have a chick singer. So it can work out with metal. Walls of Jericho (hardcore/metal) has a chick screamer and she seems to do the job pretty good and she has a pretty solid scream. Stuff that is more electronic (Hooverphonic, Imogen Heap, Frou Frou, Telepopmusik, etc.) works well with chick singers. I think there are guys singing some tracks from telepopmusik and hooverphonic, so both work.

It all comes down to whether they suck or not. If they do, give 'em the boot. If not, then listen.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally I prefer males, but it doesn't bother me if I listen to females, but most of my favorite songs are sanged by males and not females.

L

LostForever

Well, to me, female and male singers both sound good. I like them both equally, like male singers are good and some suck. same with females. when they go together, it's really awesome and to me, inspirational

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crouton Movies & TV 1
Babe_Ruth Video Games 7
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 10
sunrise Music 3
Vidic15 Music 4