• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Male or Female characters?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When you have the chance to choose between a male or a female gaming character for your video game, which one do you usually select and why?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I pretty much always select a male in that situation (like Fallout, for example) because I'm trying to make the game experience something I can relate to as closely as possible. That being said, if I'm playing a game where you switch characters or a game with a badass female protagonist, I don't mind at all.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
When given the choice, I usually use male characters because, like Unity said, that's what I relate to. For games like Mortal Kombat where there are a lot of characters with their own unique moves or abilities, I use either male or female since it's fun to use a variety.

I have no problem playing as female characters though if they're the default. Really enjoyed Tomb Raider.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
If it's open world, like Fallout, I'll usually start as a male character and then try a female character after my first playthrough. I like trying both perspectives but as it has been mentioned, I feel like it's easier to "become" my character if they're male like myself.

Other than that, I don't care as long as the game is fun.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
For me it really depends on the type of game. For big RPG style games with customisable characters I usually always choose female. Games like Skyrim, Fallout etc.

For MMO's like WoW I usually have both male and female characters and switch between them.

And for some reason with Pokemon I always choose to play the male character, every single time. I've never liked the design of female Pokemon trainers.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
And for some reason with Pokemon I always choose to play the male character, every single time. I've never liked the design of female Pokemon trainers.
Thank you, this is a great point.

In Diablo 3, where you have multiple classes, some have better males or females based on their design. For example, the female barbarian is fucking awesome whereas the male is your standard bearded nerd. However, the male demon hunter sounds and looks way better.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Thank you, this is a great point.

In Diablo 3, where you have multiple classes, some have better males or females based on their design. For example, the female barbarian is fucking awesome whereas the male is your standard bearded nerd. However, the male demon hunter sounds and looks way better.
Yeah regardless of my own gender I'll usually always choose the character that I find most visually appealing. With the customisable ones this doesn't matter, since you create the appearance yourself. But for other ones the fact that a character is male or female is a secondary factor to my choice, the biggest factor is how they look and present on screen.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Given the choice, 9 out of 10 times I'm choosing to be male. Like others, it just helps me relate to the character better. But if the game has a female lead, that's 100% fine with me.