Make money on YouTube?

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by MenInTights, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Congrats Hybrix. You did a great job with the videos.

===========================================

I read this piece awhile ago about the possibilities of making money on youtube:
    meet the youtube stars making 100000 plus per year: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

10 people making over 100K (estimated) per year on youtube. It goes to show what a great source of extra revenue the site can be and as you can see, many of them are not near as talented as Hybrix. Of course, some of them are smoking hott, but hey...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

oh god. Shane Dawson creeps me out more often than he makes me laugh.

But it is amazing how far a popular channel can take you. I find a lot of youtube stars seem more real than say tv stars or something.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Suck up haha. (Just kidding).

I am looking into some ideas to make money on YouTube actually. The problem is that I can't apply for a partner account with my current account because all the videos on the account have to be 100% original, meaning no unauthorized parody trailers or anything. YouTube doesn't mind those videos being up, they just don't let you make money from them, probably to cover themselves legally.

4. MenInTights

urghhh....that provision stinks. But I can see where there would be 500 videos to the new eminem song if it wasn't in place. And I can see where that would be a problem.

5. Mirage

Yeah, it's not the end of the world though. I am going to be filming some custom stuff soon and crossing my fingers. I can still take advantage of my existing subscribers by just sending out a bulletin. Obviously not as ideal but I can understand why they have that rule.

6. MenInTights

Just as a quick experiment, I searched for funny dog and came up with this video: YouTube - super smart dog - Funny Pug Dog Food Thief

This is your typical video. Complete trash. Just some dog eating a treat. Was loaded in 2006. Some basic SEO applied to the page. Using the formula in the article, this video would have generated $140 if they had a partnership agreement with youtube. Not much, but again, there is nothing in the video that would ever make me want to click it or send it to a friend. The equivalent of dumping the videos from your camera onto the net.

So, image if you did something 1/2 way interesting on politics or how-to...I'd think it would be easy to make a thousand or two dollars a year just screwing around. Its interesting. I'm going to put it in the back of my mind.

7. Mirage

Exactly. Here's an interesting writeup on what money there is to be made on YouTube:

How Much Do YouTube Partners Make? | Bizcovering

I'm working on something at the moment that I am hoping will make some money. It won't use any copyrighted material so if it goes viral I'll likely make some cash.